ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Weird MQ behavior - circular or linear logs?

Weird MQ behavior - circular or linear logs? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Increasing the number of log files is supported, and involves altering the qm.ini file, then restarting the qmgr. Decreasing, is (was?) not.

There is no distinction in the Knowledge Center between increasing or decreasing the number, just that changing it is supported.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q018950_.htm

Based on the Knowledge Center's description of the MEDIALOG, RECLOG and CURRLOG, I agree with Anant.v, the output of the display qmstatus command does not makes sense based on the current content of the qm.ini file.

Is there any other command to give a clue to what logging type the queue manage is using on non z/OS platforms? I can't find any.

If this was my queue manager, I would be opening a PMR.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
Increasing the number of log files is supported, and involves altering the qm.ini file, then restarting the qmgr. Decreasing, is (was?) not.

There is no distinction in the Knowledge Center between increasing or decreasing the number, just that changing it is supported.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q018950_.htm

Yep, the KC makes no distinction; but I vaguely recall, way back when, some APAR or PTF that stated that there was no explicit support for decreasing.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Yep, the KC makes no distinction; but I vaguely recall, way back when, some APAR or PTF that stated that there was no explicit support for decreasing.

There probably is, but you'd have to be careful to match the following conditions first:
  • The queue manager is not actively using any of the log files that will be pruned down the road
  • The total number of log files will satisfy the qmgrs needs (otherwise you might get some out of log space rollback errors really fast)
  • If you decrease your primary logs make sure to increase your secondary logs to match with your total amount the previous total of primary and secondary logs. You can then in a second step reduce the number of secondary logs after the qmgr pruned them.

So for example if you had 60 primaries and 24 secondaries, with circular logs, you'd need to go to 30 primaries and 54 secondaries in a first phase. Then you'd be able to reduce the secondaries to 24 once no log file over LOG00054.LOG exists in your file system.

Hope this helps
Anant.v
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Quote:
If this was my queue manager, I would be opening a PMR.

Guess will take your word on this. Will open a PMR to IBM.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Weird MQ behavior - circular or linear logs?
Jump to: