ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Users with or without passwords

Users with or without passwords « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
NickSz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Users with or without passwords Reply with quote

Novice

Hello everbody,

i am a bit confused by all the posibility of restricting the right to connect and to the objects of MQ 8.
We are having MQ 8 running on an Appliance and need to have users with password but also need technical users without password due to older software connecting

What is the best approach to reach out to the Channels and Objects of the qms?

I have put up the following config:
Add user and groups
mqa(mqcli)# groupcreate -g gxyz
mqa(mqcli)# groupcreate -g gzyx
mqa(mqcli)# usercreate -u abc -d abc -g gxyz
mqa(mqcli)# usercreate -u cba -d cba -g gzyx

Non privileged user ID
DEFINE CHANNEL(CLIENT.SVRCONN) CHLTYPE(SVRCONN) SSLCAUTH(OPTIONAL) HBINT(30) REPLACE

SET CHLAUTH('*') TYPE(ADDRESSMAP) ADDRESS('*') USERSRC(NOACCESS) DESCR('BackStop rule')
SET CHLAUTH('CLIENT.SVRCONN') TYPE (USERMAP) CLNTUSER(abc) USERSRC(MAP) MCAUSER(abc)
SET CHLAUTH('CLIENT.SVRCONN') TYPE (USERMAP) CLNTUSER(cba) USERSRC(MAP) MCAUSER(cba)

SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(QMGR) GROUP('gxyz') AUTHADD(ALL)
SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(QMGR) GROUP('gzyx') AUTHADD(ALLMQI)

SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(QUEUE) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gxyz') AUTHADD(ALL)
SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(QUEUE) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gxyz') AUTHADD(CRT)
SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(QUEUE) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gzyx') AUTHADD(ALLMQI)

SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(CHANNEL) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gxyz') AUTHADD(ALL)
SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(CHANNEL) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gxyz') AUTHADD(CRT)
SET AUTHREC OBJTYPE(CHANNEL) PROFILE('**') GROUP('gzyx') AUTHADD(ALLMQI)

and so on.

Am i correct or am i missing something.

Best regards
Nicolaie
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Look at the provided mqccred exit that comes with IBM MQ V8.0, for your 'older software' - it may provide what you need.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You first need to distinguish between application users/groups and administrative users/groups.

Don't grant application groups administrative access, don't allow them to create new MQ objects etc.

The only access an application group should need is ALLMQI, plus display and inquire and maybe clear where appropriate.

If you grant them +all to **, then you have no security. Always use object naming conventions to restrict access to relevant objects. (e.g. use PREFIX.**)
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

exerk wrote:
Look at the provided mqccred exit that comes with IBM MQ V8.0, for your 'older software' - it may provide what you need.

Can't use exits on the MQ appliance.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
exerk wrote:

Can't use exits on the MQ appliance.

No, but you can for connecting client applications...
NickSz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Users with or without passwords Reply with quote

Novice

NickSz wrote:
We are having MQ 8 running on an Appliance and need to have users with password but also need technical users without password due to older software connecting

Yeap, zpat, this is one point. On appliances there are no exits.

I need to have admin users, the master admins will be using certs.
Then i need developer who are quite powerfull but should only use username+password.
And there the app users which should remain working without password.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Again, Client side security exit to insert user ID and password (mqccred)
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Don't permit update access to system queues. Only mqm should be able to do that and mqm doesn't need permissions.
NickSz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Exerk, unfortunatelly this can not be used because we are using MQ Appliances. There are no exits on an appliances allowed.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

NickSz wrote:
Exerk, unfortunatelly this can not be used because we are using MQ Appliances. There are no exits on an appliances allowed.

Ex-erk is correct, this exit is client side. It does not need to run on the appliance.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q114370_.htm
NickSz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Well, it needs at least a channel where scyexit is set:
See Using mccred at the end of this document: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q114370_.htm
And see also the the restrictions on the Appliances where it is written that exit are rejected:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS5K6E_1.0.0/com.ibm.mqa.doc/planning/pl00003_.htm
Cheers
Nicolaie
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Quote:
mqccred is a security exit that runs on the same machine as your client application

It's really quite simple. The exit runs on the host where MQ client runs.

MQ client does not run on the appliance, it connects to the appliance. No exit is needed on the appliance.

You need to define the exit on the CLNTCONN definition - even if this definition is made on the appliance QM, it is not used on the QM - it is downloaded as a CCDT to the client machine.

If you don't follow - please read up on MQ in general.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
Ex-erk is correct...

Put it in your diary, it doesn't happen often!
NickSz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Zpat, thank you.
I did not meant that you are wrong. I did not trust that the appliance not eventually blocking the creation of the table.
But after testing it here i saw that it is contained in the CCDT so it should work, as you said.
Now i have to find out if the developers here will adapt...
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You don't have to create a CCDT on the Appliance QM in question. You can create it on any queue manager, or even create it without a QM.

Quote:
Client platforms at IBM MQ Version 8.0

You can create a CCDT on the client machine directly by using the runmqsc command with the -n parameter. The CCDT will be created in the location indicated by MQCHLLIB and with the filename indicated by MQCHLTAB which is AMQCLCHL.TAB by default.

Note, that if you specify the -n parameter, you must not specify any other parameter.

Each entry of a CCDT represents a client connection to a specific queue manager. A new entry is added when you define a client-connection channel using the DEFINE CHANNEL command, and the entry is updated when you alter the client-connection channels by using the ALTER CHANNEL command.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Users with or without passwords
Jump to: