ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Sonar Plugin for IIB

Sonar Plugin for IIB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
saviobarr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Sonar Plugin for IIB Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi everyone,
Does anybody know about Sonar Plugin for IIB? I need to setup a automated code verification/validation pipe, and I'd like suggestions. My first idea is to use sonar plugin for ESQL (http://www.sonarplugins.com/esql ). Did you guys applied such solution on some project? Do you suggest anything else?

Many thanks

Savio Barros
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi Savio,
We are currently evaluating code analyzer plugins for IIB, it looks like there are few products out there...

- The opensource Exxeta esql/msgflow plugins (the ones you are looking at)
- Cognizant MARS
- MB-Precise plugin from BetterCodingTools (BCT)

Both Exxeta and MB-Precise runs on SonarQube platform, BCT has got lot more rules when compared to Exxeta. We couldn't get hold of the MARS tool as it is only available if you go with Cognizant as a service provider (i.e not for sale as a standalone product).

MB-Precise now includes a technical debt metrics and also allows to run checks on MQ scripts. They are very supportive when it comes to your queries (for eg:- if you got any generic rule they are happy to add it to the rules). The trial version is available for download from their site, give both plugins a go and see how it fits your needs.

Using Sonar Eclipse plugin you can also analyze the code directly from the toolkit but I found it bit resource intensive.

We also looked at test coverage tools for our unit tests, looked at MB-precise and IBM supportpac IAM2. For this we felt that MB-Precise is bit intrusive (eg:- you need to add some config to your project and rebuild a custom BAR file, start/stop a listener etc to get the report)

While IAM2 report is bit basic (i.e just a text file compared to the web report generated by BCT at sonar UI) it relies just on user trace to generate the report which means no custom changes are required for the project. Even though IBM is not officially responsible to support IAM2 the author is still with IBM Germany and have provided fixes (just some minor issues)...hope this helps.

Regards,
Abhi
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

abhi_thri wrote:
Using Sonar Eclipse plugin you can also analyze the code directly from the toolkit but I found it bit resource intensive.

One of the usual causes of resource intensive actions in Eclipse - particularly over slowness or unexpected crashing - is a lack of JVM heap size. This is adjusted in the eclipse.ini in the eclipse install folder.

I tend to prefer to install IIB Explorer in a separate Eclipse rather than using the standalone. Then I can add in other useful features to the same tool.

But I've found it necessary to install IIB first before almost anything else.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Sonar Plugin for IIB
Jump to: