ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Seeking clairity on crtmqpkg

Seeking clairity on crtmqpkg « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Seeking clairity on crtmqpkg Reply with quote

Grand Master

The KC seems to be lacking on what is really happening when you use this feature.

So this is a command to create new RPMs to avoid conflict with existing installed RPMs?

Obviously, you must install from the path (or referencing the path) where the renamed (or rebuilt?) RPMs were put (/etc/tmp is the default).

The KC is not saying to specify a install directory, so I have to assume it is picking something that will not conflict with /opt/mqm (the default path for a initial install). What path would that be?

Could I also install to a specific path? (I would guess so...)

I'm also wondering if:
yum -localinstall

Will work for the additional install and where it will go (since you cannot specify an install path using yum).

Here is a use case:
I have a machine with two Qmgrs on it. One for an application and one to be nothing more than a Cluster FR and the MQ version is 7.0.1.n (where n is a FP greater than 6).

I want to only upgrade and run the FR Qmgr to 8.0 latest fix pack.

So I want an additional MQ install at that version and migrate the FR (which should always be at the highest version and fix you intend to have in the MQ Cluster).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Hi Joe,

Obviously you haven't used it yet.
You will need to specify an installation directory when you do install the rpms created by crtmqpkg.

The advantage of using crtmqpkg is to allow for a change in the package name so that the package is not viewed as an upgrade / replace of the existing package but as a new name. This will keep the packages apart in the package db. And when you display what's in your rpm db, you will see both packages...

Have fun
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The package name just avoids naming conflicts with existing installations of the same RPM.

The --prefix on the rpm command is where the actual installed files will reside.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Use rpm -ivh --prefix and don't worry if you query yum after the install it should show up in the db and display correctly.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

@fjb_saper,

No, I have not tried this on Linux. The KC didn't say I needed to use --prefix on the second install but that makes sense. I take it that yum should not be used to install MQ because it does not accept an override install directory. The KC seems to be giving a strong hint in this direction as it does not mention yum. In recent installs, I have not had an issue with the order of the RPMs.

I know the default is /opt/mqm but I prefer to have a mount point of /opt/ibm and install MQ and broker and maybe other IBM software there.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
@fjb_saper,

No, I have not tried this on Linux. The KC didn't say I needed to use --prefix on the second install but that makes sense. I take it that yum should not be used to install MQ because it does not accept an override install directory. The KC seems to be giving a strong hint in this direction as it does not mention yum. In recent installs, I have not had an issue with the order of the RPMs.

I know the default is /opt/mqm but I prefer to have a mount point of /opt/ibm and install MQ and broker and maybe other IBM software there.

You must have misread the KC or it changed recently. When I last did my install on a vm (RH 7, mq9, mq8, mq7.5) it clearly gave the command line for rpm once you were done with createmqpkg... including the --prefix with what value to assign to it.

Have fun
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I read the KC again.

At step 5, they show the rpm command without and with the --prefix option. Nowhere do they say if you do use the crtmqpkg command to install the product an additional time that you must use that option with a unique path for this "instance".

It makes sense but it is not explicit.

I think they should split these instructions in to two different parts. One for the first install and another for "additional" install just to be clear. I find folks are doing the crtmqpkg and then not installing what was just created, making the step moot. They are doing that because they are not reading these confusing instructions closely enough.

I would bet 99.9% of folks are installing the product once. I've never seen anyone actually do it. I'm promoting it for the case where the FR needs to be upgraded but the Application folks are not ready (intolerant) for an upgrade.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

A useful command is this - to show where a RPM <packagename> has been installed to.

Quote:
rpm -q --queryformat '%{INSTPREFIXES}\n' <packagename>

I've been doing a lot of multi-install because our standards require me to name the installation in a certain way and that's only possible after MQ is installed - so I have to install a subset, create a new installation name and install the full set there, then remove the subset install.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
I read the KC again.

At step 5, they show the rpm command without and with the --prefix option. Nowhere do they say if you do use the crtmqpkg command to install the product an additional time that you must use that option with a unique path for this "instance".

It makes sense but it is not explicit.

I think they should split these instructions in to two different parts. One for the first install and another for "additional" install just to be clear. I find folks are doing the crtmqpkg and then not installing what was just created, making the step moot. They are doing that because they are not reading these confusing instructions closely enough.

I would bet 99.9% of folks are installing the product once. I've never seen anyone actually do it. I'm promoting it for the case where the FR needs to be upgraded but the Application folks are not ready (intolerant) for an upgrade.

They were split when I used them. You'd have to follow the link for crtmqpkg though...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Seeking clairity on crtmqpkg
Jump to: