ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQGET /MQPUT counting

MQGET /MQPUT counting « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
elfilana
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: MQGET /MQPUT counting Reply with quote

Hi all,
my objective is to trace the number of messages inserted and number of messages extracted from the same queue.
For example, between 09:00 AM and 09:05 AM , 100 message inserted / 80 messages extracted. So More PUT thant GET and so on ever F minutes a check is done

Thank you
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Research QSTATS.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I assume that you mean the command RESET QSTATS. This is certainly the easiest option. There are two downsides that might be worth being aware of though.

Firstly the command is only available in PCF on Distributed platforms. For some reason that I never understood they didn't implement an MQSC flavour of it. You have both available on z/SO though. Secondly the command is destructive. By that I mean that issuing the command changes the answer next time. This is not really a problem if you are certain that you are the only one issuing the command but you need to be aware of whether other people/programs are using it.

However, that being said I use RESET QSTATS all the time. It is a very quick and easy way of seeing what activity is happening in your Queue Manager. I use it through MO71 which allows you to refresh the display after whatever interval you like.

Another possible solution is to look into Accounting and Statistics but that is a bit more involved.

Cheers,

Paul.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

@elfilana
PaulClarke wrote:

Another possible solution is to look into Accounting and Statistics but that is a bit more involved.

Cheers,

Paul.

It really is more involved. Think about all the get calls that were rolled back, all the get calls that returned a 2033 , doubling up on get calls to resize the buffer... etc...

Have fun
elfilana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
with runmqsc i 'm trying to use RESET, but i oundn't see QSTATS unders:

AMQ8426: Valid MQSC commands are:

RESET CHANNEL
RESET CLUSTER
RESET QMGR

help please

Best regards
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

When I said

"Firstly the command is only available in PCF on Distributed platforms. For some reason that I never understood they didn't implement an MQSC flavour of it. "

that was a clue.

Regards,

Paul.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You could also look at the queue depth and make some guesses based on the last message put and last message get times.

Or you could do something really efficient like change the queue to a topic, and have a subscriber that counts each message that it consumes.
elfilana
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thank you all for your reply,
@mqjeff, please how to look at the queue depth and make some guesses based on the last message put and last message get times.?

i'm not expert in MQSeries So please it will be grateful if you help me

Best regards
Nabil
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Search google for 'mq performance events.'

Queue depth and service interval, as examples. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.mon.doc/q036320_.htm
elfilana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Count MQGET and MQPUT Reply with quote

Hello Bruce,
Thank you, but MQGET and MQPUT will be got only when one of the events will be reached,

what i'm looking for is , each 2 minutes, a trigger registers how many GET and PUT there is

is there a solution please ?

Thank you
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Count MQGET and MQPUT Reply with quote

Jedi Council

elfilana wrote:
...what i'm looking for is , each 2 minutes, a trigger registers how many GET and PUT there is

is there a solution please ?

Yes. There are a number of commercial tools available that will give you transaction monitoring, and therefore the number of PUT and GET operation, and put that into a database, from which you can mine that information.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As we've said before I think one of the easiest solutions to this is to use the RESET QSTATS PCF command. You could either write a program to do it yourself or use a program, such as MO71, which will do it for you and display the data nicely in a list for you. If you would like to try MO71 then you can get a free 1-month trial licence by sending an email to support@mqgem.com

Cheers,

Paul
elfilana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Developing Program to retrieve MQGET MQPUT Reply with quote

Hi Paul
Thank you for your reply, yes it is possible for me to develop a program but I don't know if I have to put a timer in my program in order to retrieve queue size or there is a way more better

Thank you
Nabil
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You will need to write a program that comes to life every nn minutes, and MQINQ on whatever items you wish to interrogate, and then sleep until the next interval nn minutes. Every o/s offers some kind of timer capability - with sleep or wait primitives.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Developing Program to retrieve MQGET MQPUT Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

elfilana wrote:
there is a way more better

Yes there is a way more better:

PaulClarke wrote:
use a program, such as MO71, which will do it for you and display the data nicely in a list for you.

You're still talking about collecting the data; you still have to think about storage, display & analysis.

Paul has invented a very nice wheel, perfected over lo these many years, that's circular and give great mileage. There's no need for you to invent your own.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQGET /MQPUT counting
Jump to: