ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Removing empty tags from XML using DFDL

Removing empty tags from XML using DFDL « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Removing empty tags from XML using DFDL Reply with quote

Acolyte

My input message is a fixed length message and I am using DFDL parser to parse and validate it.

Then I am converting/Serializing into an XML. Few fields in the input can have value as blank spaces, dfdl, on xml conversion is creating empty xml tags for those fields.

Is there any setting in the dfdl schema that I can use on these fields so that if the value of a field in the input is blank spaces it doesn't create empty tag in xml?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Removing empty tags from XML using DFDL Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

IIB_Intel wrote:
My input message is a fixed length message and I am using DFDL parser to parse and validate it.

Then I am converting/Serializing into an XML. Few fields in the input can be blank space, dfdl, on xml conversion is creating empty xml tags for those fields.

Is there any setting in the dfdl schema that I can use on these fields so that if the value of a fields in the input is blank spaces it doesn't create empty tag in xml?

You do not specify whether the field is optional or nillable in XML. So there is no straight answer. Once you have figured this out you can look at your DFDL definition for null values for the field in question, and handle the XML accordingly...
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I tried by specifying few fields as option in DFDL schema and trying various combination of null & nillable values but it still creates those empty xml tags.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you're trying to change the XML output, then you need to change the XML model... (xsd)
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

There is just one dfdl model being used. First I use that to parse incoming fixed length then convert it to xml.

Are you saying I need to create 2 message schema and do mapping between them?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You need to model both your input message and your output message.

If one is DFDL and one is XML, then you need separate models.
ss
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

And of-course I would need mapping between two models?
timber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
Is there any setting in the dfdl schema that I can use on these fields so that if the value of a field in the input is blank spaces it doesn't create empty tag in xml?
No, but I don't blame you for asking.

If the length of an element in the input bitstream is non-zero then it *will* appear in the message tree. You can control whether DFDL parses it as a normal (logical) value or as a NULL value. This is by design, btw. DFDL is a parsing technology, not a mapping technology. Including this feature would have blurred that line.
mbsa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I had the requirement of removing empty tags in the xml. I used COALESCE function which default NULL while mapping optional fields to get rid of empty tags.
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I can parse a fixed length message with dfdl parse and easily convert it to xml (ofcourse xml will have empty strings).

I am thinking of writing a generic esql method to remove all empty tags instead of doing a 2nd mapping.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Removing empty tags from XML using DFDL
Jump to: