ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » move an agent from one server to another

move an agent from one server to another « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: move an agent from one server to another Reply with quote

Yatiri

i need to decommission a server a FTE agent is running on. Wonder if i can copy over the /var/wmqfte/config directory to the new server and leave everything else the same and start the agent? would it work?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: move an agent from one server to another Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

paustin_ours wrote:
i need to decommission a server a FTE agent is running on. Wonder if i can copy over the /var/wmqfte/config directory to the new server and leave everything else the same and start the agent? would it work?

Probably depends on how the agent was built. If the connection is to localhost, or a bindings connection, or only the agent is running on the server and no qmgr??

However I would expect the answer to be no. You need to stop the agent, remove the agent and create a new agent... or alter the agent??
This way the addressing of the agent from the coordination qmgr should be o.k.

Have fun
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

this is just a fte agent 7.0.4.5 version connecting to a remote agent queue manager which is also the command queue manager and a remote co-ordination queue manager.

I don't see anything in the coordination queueu manager or the command queue manager that has the current agent host information.

I see /var/wmqfte/config just has connection and configuration information.

if I copied over /var/wmqfte/config to the new server, I don't think it would make a difference to the coordination or command or agent qmgrs.

correct me if I am wrong.

just figured it will be quicker if not I will install and create new agents. just curious if this would be possible. I don't see why it wont be from what I see under config directory
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

paustin_ours wrote:
this is just a fte agent 7.0.4.5 version connecting to a remote agent queue manager which is also the command queue manager and a remote co-ordination queue manager.

I don't see anything in the coordination queueu manager or the command queue manager that has the current agent host information.

I see /var/wmqfte/config just has connection and configuration information.

if I copied over /var/wmqfte/config to the new server, I don't think it would make a difference to the coordination or command or agent qmgrs.

correct me if I am wrong.

just figured it will be quicker if not I will install and create new agents. just curious if this would be possible. I don't see why it wont be from what I see under config directory

I would stop, remove and recreate the agent.
You did not specify your OS, but if it is windows, remember that the agent runs as a Windows service...
If if is Unix you might get away with it, but remember to also copy the startup and shutdown procedures for the agent...
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

The safest procedure is to recreate the FTE config and agent on the new server.
ie. Run commands:
fteSetupCoordination
fteSetupCommands
fteCreateAgent (but no need to redefine the queues if they are on another server)
Migrate any customisations in agent.properties file
fteModifyAgent -s (on Windows)
fteStartAgent (or start the Service on Windows)

This could be an opportunity to migrate from FTE s/w to MQ MFT. The commands are the same in MFT. STATE messages will be migrated to MFT format when the agent is started.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » move an agent from one server to another
Jump to: