ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Maximum number of message flow instances

Maximum number of message flow instances « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vishnurajnr
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Maximum number of message flow instances Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

This is regarding the maximum number of message flow instances the message broker supports

IIB V 9.0.0.1, Windows8.

As per the Infocenter, the maximum message flow instances that the broker allows is 256 (means 255 additional instances if message flow having only one input node). And the deployment will fail if we set the additional instance value more than 256 in the BAR file for the message flow.

However if we set additional instances at node level, it will still allow you to set more than 256 (lets say 300) and will be able to deploy. And the message flow will be creating the additional instances more than 256 (from the Open input count of the mq input node).

I have a message flow having 3 mq input nodes. Each node I have given 300 additional instances (use Pool Associated with node). And when tested with some 30000+ message load in each input queue, I could see the input count is reaching 300 in each node and total thread is 900 for the flow in this case.

My question is: What is the maximum instances the message flow supports? if it is 256, why it is allowing to deploy with instance value more than 256 if instance value set at node level.

And the open input count 300 indicates that the message flow is having 300 threads running?

Any input/clarifications will be appreciated.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Are you sure that using the pool on the input node means the same as additional instances? Did you check the resource utilization while varying the resource pool and keeping a fixed number of additional instances...
How is the bottleneck changing when changing pool instances vs flow instances...
vishnurajnr
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
Did you check the resource utilization while varying the resource pool and keeping a fixed number of additional instances...

Yes, I have checked resource utilization.
First, I have set the message flow instance at flow level (Pool associated with message flow)and set additional instance value to 250 and at run time I could see the messages are getting consumed from each queue based on the open input count value (2 nodes got 75 instances and the other one got 100 instances at runtime).

Secondly, I changed the instance value to node level (Pool associated with node) and set 300 additional instances to each node. At runtime I could see the open input count as 300 in each node and messages are getting consumed at the rate of 300 messages at a time (total 900 instances since 3 input nodes)

I changed the instance value to 500 and checked again and seen the messages are consuming at the rate of 500 at a time (total 1500 Instances since 3 input nodes)

fjb_saper wrote:
How is the bottleneck changing when changing pool instances vs flow instances

Yes, the bottleneck changes when changing pool instances vs flow instances. Flow instances allowing only 256 max instances and node level pool instances are allowing more message consumption. And I don't know if there is a limit available for the Node level instance value.
dkiu
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Is there any MQSC command which tells us how many HTTP instances of flow are running in the broker?
zpat
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Additional Instances (as set in flow properties) are only started up when needed.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dkiu wrote:
Is there any MQSC command which tells us how many HTTP instances of flow are running in the broker?

No, because MQSC commands tell you about the queue manager not the broker.

The number of actual instances are reported through the statistics messages, which can be consumed in a number of ways; the most obvious is the broker UI.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Maximum number of message flow instances
Jump to: