ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » JDBC Configurable services using OID

JDBC Configurable services using OID « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sumitabc2212
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: JDBC Configurable services using OID Reply with quote

Is it possible to configure the following kind of connection in IIB:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@ldap://danoid:9901/MYDB,cn=OracleContext,dc=xxxx,dc=yyy
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Why are you trying to create a JDBC connection to an LDAP system?

Rather than the more traditional (and supported OOTB) LDAP connection?
sumitabc2212
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: JDBC Configurable services using OID Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I am trying to connect Oracle 12C database and database team want us to connect to database using LDAP(instead of direct host name or some F5). Database actual host name and port info is stored on LDAP server and it will take care of fail over scenario.

Is there any other way in IIB to connect to database using LDAP(I am just aware about the JDBC)? It will be really helpful if you can share documentation for that.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If the Oracle native ODBC driver supports this, then it's likely that the DataDirect Oracle ODBC Driver does as well.

You would basically install the Oracle client, configure it to point to the db using ldap, and then alter the DataDirect ODBC Configuration to use the oracle config file rather than the wire format description...

This is done by removing the HostName and PortNumber parameters, and replacing them with... ummm... well, okay. I forgot what it's called.

It's not a strictly supported configuration though.

If the Oracle native ODBC driver doesn't support using an LDAP, then you're up a tree.

Unless by LDAP they mean "Real Application Cluster"... Then there's direct info in the knowledge center for how to configure the ODBC driver to use RAC.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Ah - you're trying to connect to the underlying database rather than LDAP server itself.

That's a fairly strange way of handling fail over in Oracle 12c; especially given the number of ways Oracle provides to handle fail over without an F5. I agree that a direct host name is a bad idea, but it's fairly standard to use one of the various facilities in 12c (cluster, instance, RAC, etc) to front the Oracle database with a virtual IP that the clients are connected to.

These also have the advantage that you don't have to update the LDAP entry and restart every single instance that had already connected to the failed database. For my morbid interest, can you ask your Oracle people why they've selected that method? In case they've had a better idea than my Oracle people.

I don't believe IIB will do this out of the box. I await to be corrected by more Java literate people.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » JDBC Configurable services using OID
Jump to: