ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Business related reasons for migration from IIB v9.x to 10.x

Business related reasons for migration from IIB v9.x to 10.x « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
abtimo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Business related reasons for migration from IIB v9.x to 10.x Reply with quote

Novice

Dear All
I am being asked by management about business reasons to migrate from IIB 10 to IIB 9. And despite multiple sources telling about technical reasons that are very valid and important, i can not find any if the goal is to migrate the code from 9 to 10 keeping everything the same iso functional and iso deployment way (Local MQ, no change in topology and code etc.). Basically it seems that it will just cost in effort and additional license. Even the dates of the end of service are unknown for both of them:

IBM Integration Bus
10.0.x
E
5724-J05
2015-04-03

IBM Integration Bus
9.0.x
E
5724-J05
2013-07-05

Is there any chance that someone can suggests elements that may lend colour to the business related advantages to go to the V10 immediately ?

Thank you in advance
Regards
E
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Business related reasons for migration from IIB v9.x to Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abtimo wrote:
Is there any chance that someone can suggests elements that may lend colour to the business related advantages to go to the V10 immediately ?

There are no business related advantages to the move from v9 to v10. All the advantages, as with 99% of software upgrades, are technical. It's very seldom that the business sees a direct advantage in going from one version to another.

There's often an indirect advantage (reduced TCO, shorter development times, etc.) and that's the case with a number of the new features in v10.

Ask your question a different way - why do you want to go to v10 immediately? If it's to solve a particular problem with a new v10 feature, make development faster and easier with a v10 feature or because it's a convenient time in the development / build cycle to perform an upgrade, express those in terms of money saved and present that.

If you want to go to v10 because it's new and shiny, that's going to be a harder case to make.
adubya
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Better support for RESTful services in IIB10
MQ not a prereq (although there are lots of nodes which require it)
MQTT support

I could go on and copy/paste the product documentation

It's up to you to look at the technical improvements in IIB10 and see how they could benefit your business.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Look at the guidelines that IBM clearly states regarding how long they plan on supporting this type of software. Compare that to the GA dates. Look at the lifecycles of all prior versions of the Broker. Make an educated guess as to when IIB v9 will likely go end of support.

Maybe the business can afford / tolerate the upgrade better now instead of a more rushed scramble in the last 6 months of IIB v9s official life cycle.

Conversely it may make more business sense for your business to pay for extended support for IIB v9 when the time comes to stay on it another year or two.
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

in my case i am using broker 8.0.0.7 and trying to migrate to v10

speaking business: the main reason to upgrade is to get support from ibm.

I've made a list of services/apps running on broker and the business applications they support (a simple excel file with three columns - column one has message flows, column two has the business applications supported/used by the message flows, third column has the businnes area/units that use the business appplcations from second column).

This way i can show to management which business units will feel the impact when potential problems arise and PMR/other support from ibm is not available.

In you case you have to check if out-of-support for v9 is an issue in a near-future (don't remenber the end of suport for v9).

Also you need to understand what the mid-term business strategy/focus ? what is the business expecting from IT ? what are the long term projects for the next 5 years ? Then think about what technical capabilities you need to fulfill these strategy/direction? Is your company focused in API/Digital ? then you need swagger/api v10 capabilities...

just my two cents...

Rui Madaleno

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Business related reasons for migration from IIB v9.x to 10.x
Jump to: