ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available

MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PaulClarke wrote:
I am a programmer, I enjoy the challenge of writing code such as this. Where is the fun if someone else already dictated exactly how it will work and what it will look like ?

There is certainly a fair bit of fun in that...

But there's also a fair bit of fun in getting 90% of the job done with 10% of the code... As long as the frameworks aren't half-arsed or 10 layers deep...
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Although in a Famework you can often get away with writing less code the resultant executable is often significantly larger, it uses more heap storage and runs more slowly. MO71 is only about 3MB in size, small enough to comfortably run off a USB stick. In fact I know people who do just that so that have a version of it where ever they go. And yet despite its small size people who run MO71 are amazed about how much it can do. Sadly we have got so used to programs being hundreds of megabytes in size we have forgotten how much you can do per Kb. Essentially programmers have forgotten how to write small efficient code or at least it is not considered important any more. Bloatware is fairly endemic and Frameworks are a big part of that.

Cheers,
Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi Paul,

OK, I get it, you don't use frameworks. But you must be using some GUI library, since programming that from scratch would be pointless. And if one wonders what's the difference, as I did, here is what people say about it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3057526/framework-vs-toolkit-vs-library
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/148747/what-is-the-difference-between-a-framework-and-a-library
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8772746/difference-between-framework-vs-library-vs-ide-vs-api-vs-sdk-vs-toolkits
Anyway, does that what you use offer a possibility to introduce easily drag & drop, or copy & paste operations for object definitions between qmgrs? I borrowed the idea from some bloke that asked the same for MQ Explorer, and I don't think they took him seriously. I don't know if someone asked you this already for MO71, and by the way, what do you think about RFEs as a concept, and how it works for IBM MQ? Anyway, I don't miss such operations that much, so I would vote for them with low priority, but, you could add AuthRecs to Compare Definitions menu, that I miss from time to time, like yesterday, so I vote for it with somewhat greater priority.

Cheers,
jcv
jcv
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

... although, there are some drag and drop operations in MQ Explorer, but not for copying definitions of objects between qmgrs:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.explorer.doc/e_new_explorer.htm
jcv
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

OK, I realized that you said that MO71 is written in pure Win32 calls, which makes my question excessive, since it of course supports drag and drop feature. Not to mention that I've seen that you already use it, in Network View and Application View, which I totaly forgot.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Yes that is right, MO71 is written in pure Win32. However, that doesn't mean that you get drag&drop 'for free'. Each drag&drop action must be separately programmed and catered for, especially if it is your own control such as the Network and Application View.

I do program drag&drop where I think there is a significant user gain. For example, in the MQEdit product you can use drag&drop to copy or move messages between queues, even when those queues are on different Queue Managers.

Cheers,
Paul.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hot on the heels of the release of MO71 Version 9.0.4 I would like to announce the start of MO71 Beta version 9.0.5. The main thrust of this release is Column Filters which is why I am appending here since at least two customers have expressed an interest in this feature.

Please download Version 9.0.5 and feed back your comments. It can be downloaded from here http://www.mqgem.com/beta_downloads/mo71_9.0.5_Beta.zip

Cheers,
Paul.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available
Jump to: