ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity
 
  MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups
 
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages
 
RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportJSon to XML with xsi:nil="true"

Post new topicReply to topic
JSon to XML with xsi:nil="true" View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:17 am Post subject: JSon to XML with xsi:nil="true" Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Hi everyone,
I have a requirement where a consumer sends a JSon and some fields have a null value, and I have to parse it to a XML, creating a xsi:nil="true" atribute (I know, it should not be sent neither present in message tree).
Current scenario:
Input json:
Code:

{"name": null}

Transformation using ESQL:
Code:

SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.name;

It produces a XML like below:
Code:

<Root>
   <name/>
</Root>


The problem is: the validation is enabled and the output, when the value in the JSon is null, must be like similar to the following:
Code:

<Root>
   <name  xsi:nil="true" />
</Root>


I did research the Knowledge Center, and it says:
"Typically, the XML parsers (XMLNSC, XMLNS, and XML) do not create null values in the message tree; an empty element or an empty attribute value merely produces an empty string value in the message tree."

In short: if some property in the incoming JSon has a null value, the generated XML atribute must contain xsi:nil="true" atribute.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Savio Barros
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 6077
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

This question has to my memory been asked before.
In effect you need to know how to create an XML formatted output that contains fields that are present (with tags) but have no value.

using the search feature of this forum (upper right of the screen) may well help you find rhe answer.
_________________
WMQ User since 1999
MQSI/WBI/WMB/'Thingy' User since 2002
Linux user since 1995

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adubya
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 366
Location: GU12, UK

This might help.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ad67010_.htm

Basically you need to explicitly create the nil attribute as part of the message tree prior to sending to the output parser/serialiser.
_________________
Independent Middleware Consultant
andy@knownentity.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

adubya wrote:
This might help.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ad67010_.htm

Basically you need to explicitly create the nil attribute as part of the message tree prior to sending to the output parser/serialiser.

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I saw that KC page before posting here. It does not clarify if using ESQL mapping there is a way to tell the message to create a xsi:nil="true" if the incoming field is null. For now, I am getting by testing if the incoming field is null and deciding if it should be mapped or set a xml field with xsi:nil = 'true';
Code:

IF InputRoot.JSON.Data.name IS NOT NULL THEN
      SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.name;
ELSE   
      SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name.(XMLNSC.Attribute)xsi:nil = 'true';
END IF;

It works, but seems ugly. Any better suggestion?
Thanks
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Joined: 25 Jun 2008
Posts: 17307

Code:
SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name.(XMLNSC.Attribute)xsi:nil = 'true';
IF InputRoot.JSON.Data.name IS NOT NULL THEN
      SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.name;
END IF;


_________________
Read, Think, Try, Repeat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

smdavies99 wrote:

In effect you need to know how to create an XML formatted output that contains fields that are present (with tags) but have no value.

Thanks for replying. I actually need to know if ESQL supports implicitly xsi:nil="true" in a destination field, if the source field is null. If am testing each single incoming field before mapping it, to decide either map or explicitly create a output with a xsi:nil="true" attribute:
Code:
   IF InputRoot.JSON.Data.Root.name IS NOT NULL THEN
         SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.Root.name;
      ELSE   
         SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name.(XMLNSC.Attribute)xsi:nil = 'true';
      END IF;   


It does not look the best solution... do you have any suggestion?

Quote:
using the search feature of this forum (upper right of the screen) may well help you find rhe answer.

Thanks for your advice. Researching before asking can avoid waste of time, providing information that can be looked up. I searched before, and I couldn't find any post that fits my doubt.
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

mqjeff wrote:
Code:
SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name.(XMLNSC.Attribute)xsi:nil = 'true';
IF InputRoot.JSON.Data.name IS NOT NULL THEN
      SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.name;
END IF;



Looks better. Thanks.
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 19210
Location: LI,NY

There is something much simpler.
Just build the tree.

Then write a procedure that checks each element and if null adds the attribute xsi:nil=true. Remember you will have to run the procedure recursively...

And make it reusable for any other XML Message Tree.

Have fun
_________________
MQ & Broker admin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
saviobarr
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

fjb_saper wrote:
There is something much simpler.
Just build the tree.

Then write a procedure that checks each element and if null adds the attribute xsi:nil=true. Remember you will have to run the procedure recursively...

And make it reusable for any other XML Message Tree.

Have fun

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.
When I map a JSon null field to XML field, the output does not create a XML field, plus, the JSon and XML have their message structure (field path and field names) very different. If I traverse the entire XML after mapping, it's not possible to identify if empty tags should or shouldn't have the attribute nil. I did map each field, testing if the JSon input is null and this way worked. But I am still wondering if there is a better solution.

Thanks

Savio Barros
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
adubya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 366
Location: GU12, UK

Aways create the XML elements and then only set their content if the original JSON input is not null. You could then perform the tree walking and setting of "empty" elements to have the nill attribute.

i.e.

Code:
CREATE FIELD outRef.elementName;
IF inRef.inputFieldName IS NOT NULL THEN
SET outRef.elementName VALUE = inRef.inputFieldName
END IF;

then perform the tree walk after your output structure is complete.

I'd probably create a utility PROCEDURE which performed the above code + had an ELSE clause to set the nill attribute if the input data was null/empty.

Then call the procedure for each element you're mapping
_________________
Independent Middleware Consultant
andy@knownentity.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
saviobarr
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

adubya wrote:
Aways create the XML elements and then only set their content if the original JSON input is not null. You could then perform the tree walking and setting of "empty" elements to have the nill attribute.

i.e.

Code:
CREATE FIELD outRef.elementName;
IF inRef.inputFieldName IS NOT NULL THEN
SET outRef.elementName VALUE = inRef.inputFieldName
END IF;

then perform the tree walk after your output structure is complete.

I'd probably create a utility PROCEDURE which performed the above code + had an ELSE clause to set the nill attribute if the input data was null/empty.

Then call the procedure for each element you're mapping

Thanks for replying.

I did this:
Code:

SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name.(XMLNSC.Attribute)xsi:nil = 'true';
IF InputRoot.JSON.Data.name IS NOT NULL THEN
      SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.Root.name = InputRoot.JSON.Data.name;
END IF;


The result is the same
_________________
Go as far as you can go. Then go farther!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:
Post new topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportJSon to XML with xsi:nil="true"
Jump to:



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Theme by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Copyright MQSeries.net. All rights reserved.