ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ Support0 byte file elimination from MQ MFT monitoring

0 byte file elimination from MQ MFT monitoring View previous topic :: View next topic
varunraot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 am Post subject: 0 byte file elimination from MQ MFT monitoring Reply with quote

Apprentice

Is it possible to bypass/avoid 0 byte file processing/pick up from MQ MFT monitor other than setting the option "match pattern and file size exceeds" and then setting the value equal to 1 byte?

I understand setting "match pattern and file size exceeds" to 1 byte will process the file having size more or than equal to 1 byte in size and in my case all valid files would be greater than 1 byte.

I would like to understand about other alternatives to avoid 0 byte file getting processed.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 am Post subject: Re: 0 byte file elimination from MQ MFT monitoring Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

varunraot wrote:
Is it possible to bypass/avoid 0 byte file processing/pick up from MQ MFT monitor other than setting the option "match pattern and file size exceeds" and then setting the value equal to 1 byte?

I understand setting "match pattern and file size exceeds" to 1 byte will process the file having size more or than equal to 1 byte in size and in my case all valid files would be greater than 1 byte.

I would like to understand about other alternatives to avoid 0 byte file getting processed.

First you need to understand why the file had 0 bytes at the time it was being processed. May be the simplest way is to rename the file once the ftp/sftp is done so that it does not get processed before it is complete??
varunraot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

At present, there is client custom application which generates file and drops into a directory and MQ MFT would poll the file and transfers to IBM IIB application queue. We have a exit monitor which would transfer processed files onto one more directory by renaming the processed file with timestamp. This is the process.

Now, there are few 0 bytes files getting generated in the same polling directory and those files are being polled and processed by MQ MFT monitor to IBM IIB application which would fail subsequently in the IBM IIB application.

So I was looking for other alternative to avoid this.

On a side note, investigation is on how 0 bytes files are getting generated which is off topic for above.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It sounds like this is the file that is being generated by the client custom application.

If there are zero byte files, then it is almost certain that it is the fault of the client custom application.

If you have an exit monitor that is reading files from where the client custom application is writing them - and the client custom application is not taking due diligence to make sure that the exit monitor can't access the files until they are ready to be processed...

Then it is still almost certain that it is the fault of the client custom application.

The client custom application should be writing the files to the correct MFT directory, in a way that MFT can't process them until the client custom application says the files are ready.

Solving this issue outside of the client custom application is a clear and solid real world example of the Halting Problem. You can not know if the file is ready, because you can not know if the application writing to the file has finished writihng it, which you can't know because you can't know that the application has stopped writing the file.

Draw your customer a picture. Show them a line of boxes and arrows - starting at the customer application and ending at IIB. Ask them which box knows that the file is ready to be processed. If they say anything other than the customer application, start working backwards through the boxes asking them "How does this process know that the file is ready?". Eventually you will get back to the customer application.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ Support0 byte file elimination from MQ MFT monitoring
Jump to: