ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » decommission is mainframe queue manager

decommission is mainframe queue manager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bkiran2020
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: decommission is mainframe queue manager Reply with quote

Master

What are steps required to decommission the mainframe queue manager
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The steps documented in the setup manual for IMQ for z/OS, but in reverse order.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You could always just unplug the mainframe.

Ideally right *after* you've found a new job, but...
bkiran2020
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

bruce2359 wrote:
The steps documented in the setup manual for IMQ for z/OS, but in reverse order.

exerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:

Ideally right *after* you've found a new job, but...

Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

It takes more than that to stop System z hardware.

A project manager, many years ago, once asked me what was the most likely kind of hardware problem to bring a mainframe down; he was filling out a risk assessment form intended for distributed systems. I pondered for a moment and replied:

"An anti-tank missile, fired a close range. Also they'd need to know which of the nearly identical blue boxes to aim at"

He thought I was joking. So I took him into the machine room and pulled a CPU card out of the Dev machine while it was still running. He thought we'd be lynched but no-one noticed.

Like I said, a long time ago in a simpler age.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
...So I took him into the machine room and pulled a CPU card out of the Dev machine while it was still running...

You sure that wasn't the Coke machine standing next to it?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Vitor wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

I might have meant "destroy all the mains coming into the building" by "unplug"...

elkinsc
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: And then your DR site takes over Reply with quote

Centurion

mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: And then your DR site takes over Reply with quote

Grand Master

elkinsc wrote:

elkinsc
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: On the serious side Reply with quote

Centurion

If I were removing a queue manager from z/OS, some steps I would consider include:

1) Stop the CHIN for a few weeks and see who complained. That is not going to eliminate all the issues that can arise from applications that people have forgotten are using MQ, but it is a start. The suggestion of weeks is serious; how many people have been caught by decommissioning something only to find an obscure job that only runs at month/quarter/year end will not complete because X is no longer available? While you may not be able to leave the queue manager in place for too long, at least a couple of weeks crossing a month end would be the least amount of time I'd recommend.

2) Set up RACF profiles to warn when anything local is connecting to te queue manager. If not using RACF, then the equivalent for the ESM you are using. Then look at the warnings received and repair the soon to be broken applications or subsystems. Once you have no warnings, then local applications are not trying to connect.

3) Is the queue manager part of a cluster? If so, remove it from the cluster and observe other member of the cluster for a while, See if anything becomes orphaned. Note - if the queue manager is a full repository, then you need to fix that first.

4) Is the queue manager part of a QSG? If so, remove it and again, see what if anything breaks.

I am sure others have more useful tips, these are just the things I think may cause grief.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:
...So I took him into the machine room and pulled a CPU card out of the Dev machine while it was still running...

You sure that wasn't the Coke machine standing next to it?

Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Vitor wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

I might have meant "destroy all the mains coming into the building" by "unplug"...

At which point the backup power cuts in.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: On the serious side Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

elkinsc wrote:
If I were removing a queue manager from z/OS, some steps I would consider include:

1) Stop the CHIN for a few weeks and see who complained. That is not going to eliminate all the issues that can arise from applications that people have forgotten are using MQ, but it is a start. The suggestion of weeks is serious; how many people have been caught by decommissioning something only to find an obscure job that only runs at month/quarter/year end will not complete because X is no longer available? While you may not be able to leave the queue manager in place for too long, at least a couple of weeks crossing a month end would be the least amount of time I'd recommend.

2) Set up RACF profiles to warn when anything local is connecting to te queue manager. If not using RACF, then the equivalent for the ESM you are using. Then look at the warnings received and repair the soon to be broken applications or subsystems. Once you have no warnings, then local applications are not trying to connect.

3) Is the queue manager part of a cluster? If so, remove it from the cluster and observe other member of the cluster for a while, See if anything becomes orphaned. Note - if the queue manager is a full repository, then you need to fix that first.

4) Is the queue manager part of a QSG? If so, remove it and again, see what if anything breaks.

I am sure others have more useful tips, these are just the things I think may cause grief.

The technical decommissioning of the queue manager is the easy part. Working out what is dependent on it is harder. If you have ENDEVOR or similar source code control, you may be able to proactively determine the applications that include MQ libraries and reach out to the owners to ensure they're not using the queue manager in question.

In addition to the excellent suggestions of my worthy associate.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Vitor wrote:
[
He thought I was joking. So I took him into the machine room and pulled a CPU card out of the Dev machine while it was still running. He thought we'd be lynched but no-one noticed.

Like I said, a long time ago in a simpler age.

I've seen a MF system get really sick when someone messed up a Storage system update. That was at a major bank and at month end. The Admin who auth'd the update was never seen again.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » decommission is mainframe queue manager
Jump to: