ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ install on failover

MQ install on failover « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dev135
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: MQ install on failover Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi ,

we have 2 servers, server A and server B where VCS moves the file systems from A to B during fail over. On primary server A, i have MQ V 7.0.1 under /usr/mqm and same is installed on server B. now i installed MQ V 7.5 as co existence on server A, as per online doc and everything went fine.
Question is do i need to install the same on server B also? i.e MQ V7.5 ? because with 7.1 we wont have any /usr/lib symbolic links to mq commands..once failover happens it will have the installables directory and if i source thru setmqenv for V7.5 will it not work? because it gave me error as unknown installation for V7.5 ..i guess it couldn't find mqinst file under/etc/opt/mqm on failover ..but not sure if i can copy to failover and give a try..is that doable ?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Have you associated the queue manager with the new installation yet? If you have, do you really think that when you fail over that an MQ V7.5 queue manager will automagically know what do do on a server where the software it relies on to work is not there?

Is this a test system? If not, what were the results when you tried this on a test system? And why MQ V7.5 and not MQ V8.0 or MQ V9.0?
dev135
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Yes I did..once failover happens i will have the v7.5 install directory..so it should know right? we can use certain commands crtmqenv,setmqenv and can let know which installable to run and setup env variables..correct me if i am wrong.... or do we need to install irrespective of installable directory of v7.5 gets during failover...
yes its a test system..my aim is to have the setup working..
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

In your first post you imply that you have only installed MQ V7.5 on one server (server A) but not on server B.

If that is the case what do you think will happen if you fail over? If that is the case fail over and find out what happens.
dev135
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

it failed when i did that with unknown installation error...so i am not sure here if it works or not with fail over of installable directory .. if not as last option i will install on server B and do it..
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

dev135 wrote:
it failed when i did that with unknown installation error...so i am not sure here if it works or not with fail over of installable directory .. if not as last option i will install on server B and do it..

If you needed to install MQ V7.0.1 on each server to get High Availability working why did you think that only installing V7.5 on one server was going to work?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
Question is do i need to install the same on server B also? i.e MQ V7.5 ?

Yes, with identical FixPack level.
I assume the queue manager(s) data and log directories are on VCS cluster disks, and qmgr is defined to use the same Installation on both nodes. At failover, VCS needs to be configured to stop the qmgr on the old active node and start the qmgr on the new active node (after the disks have failed over and mounted OK).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ install on failover
Jump to: