ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Additional instances of message flow

Additional instances of message flow « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
The Database concept is interesting as it makes it easy to see what all the setting are, and easy to make changes. Of course now you are dependent on that database on flow deploy or flow / EG / Broker restart time.

It was principally for this reason we decided against this method. I'm not saying it's a bad method, just offering an alternative viewpoint.

The other "advantage" we find from this is that all of the application configuration is centralized in a single location (the source code repository) and the text is easily interrogated by Support people with limited tools or training.

PeterPotkay wrote:
I've also heard of people using queues to hold these kind of details, the idea being change the message in the "config" queue if you want to change what the flow does.

A queue as a database? Burn them! Burn them!
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Tell that to IBM with reference to MQ authorization and cluster information.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

[quote="Vitor"]
PeterPotkay wrote:

The other "advantage" we find from this is that all of the application configuration is centralized in a single location (the source code repository) and the text is easily interrogated by Support people with limited tools or training.

Nothing to stop you from putting the SQL that sets the DB values into source control.
If fact we put the master copies of all those files in the Broker Project so they are there in Source control anyway. If you create a folder called "Docs&Testing" and put them under that even files with a .xml extension don't get put into BAR files but they are put into source control.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:

Been there, done that.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
Nothing to stop you from putting the SQL that sets the DB values into source control.

And nothing to stop anyone with a urgent requirement and a DBA's phone number from changing them.

I accept the point, and again I'm not saying this is a bad method, or that we didn't consider it. I'm just saying that in our opinion and given the situation on this site we decided against it.

If you've got it working well for you, then I say yay.
joebuckeye
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vitor wrote:

This is the main reason we went with bar file overrides. Support staff can update a properties file and prepare the bar file for deployment without involving a developer.

And using broker name to determine what environment you are in can make it difficult to test alternative configs (ie run the TEST config in QA due to issue X).
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
zpat wrote:

Been there, done that.

I would hate to need a database to run MQ. Keep it simple.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Vitor wrote:
zpat wrote:

Been there, done that.

I would hate to need a database to run MQ. Keep it simple.

Recent versions of IIB store security information in the file system, to remove the dependency on MQ. MQ itself could exploit this technology.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Recent versions of IIB also (thankfully) have the option to retain their authorization rules in MQ profiles where they are more flexible.

Of course MQ could use files, but files are crude, easy to corrupt, hard to synchronise automatically and so on.

Let's not head back to the 1970's by using files.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Recent versions of IIB also (thankfully) have the option to retain their authorization rules in MQ profiles where they are more flexible.

Of course MQ could use files, but files are crude, easy to corrupt, hard to synchronise automatically and so on.

Let's not head back to the 1970's by using files.

We're heading and I support your right to an opinion, but I respectfully disagree. The file based registry is robust, fits nicely into our HA strategy and allows us to decouple IIB from MQ.

Please notice the use of "our" & "us". I repeat my belief that you may do as you feel is best, and that MQ remains a viable & supported storage solution that fits a number of use cases.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Additional instances of message flow
Jump to: