ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WSDL management best pracice using IIB toolkit

WSDL management best pracice using IIB toolkit « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
harish_td
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: WSDL management best pracice using IIB toolkit Reply with quote

Master

Hello Experts,

I am helping a customer that is migrating from WESB to IIB. This customer models their own WSDL files and then provides this WSDL to the consumer applications.

On Day-1, a WSDL to expose a provider system, called Billing.wsdl is modelled with 2 operations – getBillingCycle, createBillingCycle. This WSDL is developed on IIB toolkit and the IIB team creates a Library by importing this Billing.wsdl into the Message Model and builds flows around it. IIB manipulates the original WSDL and creates supporting files called Billing_WMQI.wsdl, (the _WMQI to signify the WSDL that has been updated by the IIB toolkit) Billing_Inline_Schema1.xsd and other supporting files.

On Day-19, there is a need from the provider system to create a new operation called updateBillingCycle. The provider system requests that the ESB add two new fields that are to be added to the createBillingCycle request, getBillingCycle response.

Approach
The approach I take is to update the Billing.wsdl that was shared (or rather, which I created) on Day-1. It doesn’t matter whether I created the WSDL or not, I never touch the _WMQI.wsdl or the inline_schema files created by IIB toolkit.

Instead, I let IIB toolkit do what it deems best. So in essence, maintain two distinct files Billing.wsdl that came from the provider as a contract and the Billing_WMQI .wsdl that the toolkit created. It doesn’t matter how many updates are done on the Billing.wsdl, I always let the toolkit figure out what it needs to do.

Way forward
I want to ask you experts, what is your recommendation on WSDL management?
Is it advisable to have two copies - one the contract, the other the format needed by the IIB libraries?
Should it be mandated that the WSDL file be edited always under version control and not edit the message model?

I have done some research and I notice a similar thread here
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56646&sid=6921014433d9df3b23d8c3d91a53d391

and here

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=cda73451-9295-4e35-b607-da13b80b79ef

Bonus question
When I use my approach using the IIB Libraries, I always get an error
The WSDL file 'BillingService.wsdl' was not added through the Message Model wizard. Although this WSDL is perfectly valid in XMLSpy or soapUI or even the eclipse toolkit (right-click--> Validate option)

I have trained myself to ignore this since this is just IIB's way of saying give me WSDLs that have _WMQI annotations within them.

Thanks
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WSDL management best pracice using IIB toolkit Reply with quote

Grand Master

harish_td wrote:
I want to ask you experts, what is your recommendation on WSDL management?
Is it advisable to have two copies - one the contract, the other the format needed by the IIB libraries?
Should it be mandated that the WSDL file be edited always under version control and not edit the message model?

Different organizations use different standards and options to manage WSDLs and related Schema(s) (unless there is a flatten WSDL with all the elements, operations, messages, bindings, port, type etc. within one file of WSDL).

WSDL(s)/Schema(s) are reusable deliverables or components, which are complete in itself, also helps Consumer/Provider applications to use added/updated features by reusing them.
WSDL(s)/Schema(s) should be managed outside of Broker's space i.e. outside of Broker's Application/Library. Later re-import edited/verified/committed version of WSDLs/Schemas into your Broker Application/Library using Message Model.
WSDL/Schema management is a very complicated task when it comes to deal with their different versions, for different consumer/provider applications, over the different scrum/agile based development and releases.
Use Subversion and/or GitHub for WSDL/Schema management. I have been using Subversion in a complicated world of WSDLs/Schemas for long and it's good with handling trunk, tags, branches etc.

harish_td wrote:

Bonus question
When I use my approach using the IIB Libraries, I always get an error
The WSDL file 'BillingService.wsdl' was not added through the Message Model wizard. Although this WSDL is perfectly valid in XMLSpy or soapUI or even the eclipse toolkit (right-click--> Validate option)
I have trained myself to ignore this since this is just IIB's way of saying give me WSDLs that have _WMQI annotations within them.

I haven't faced this particular case but if your WSDL/Schema are Valid and WSI Compliant then Toolkit shouldn't throw an error while importing it into the Workspace (under the Broker Application or Library). You may open a PMR with IBM to findout more about it and share the findings across.

Thank You.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WSDL management best pracice using IIB toolkit
Jump to: