ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment where MQ

MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment where MQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Lavankumar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment where MQ Reply with quote

i am new to the WMQ.
Iam working in an environment where MQ ver 7.5 in linux environment

i have 2 Queue Managers in QM1 IS MQM file system got full coupls help me guess wt i do..
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You should not be guessing what to do, you should be applying known methods of fault diagnosis to determine the root cause of why a file system is filling up, or full.

You do not state which OS is in use - linux could be any of the supported varieties - so helping with fault-diagnosis is made difficult.

Ask your 'linux' Sys Admins to identify exactly which part of the mqm file system is full, then take the appropriate action to temporarily increase the size of that file system so the queue managers can be started/continue to function so you can resolve the issue.

If the queue managers are using linear logging (a punt on my part) read the Knowledge Centre article in regard to their management. If you need to identify the type of logging used by the queue manager then examine its qm.ini file.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I do hope the surgeons in that country don't ask an internet forum what to do when a patients bleeds...
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
I do hope the surgeons in that country don't ask an internet forum what to do when a patients bleeds...

Simples - if it's a nosebleed, apply a tourniquet around the neck
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

At least there's more information that in his other post.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:

I've already chucked a boat-load of fish at the OP, but that's with the minimal information supplied. As regards the other post, s-o-l on that one as my crystal ball went cloudy and it's in the shop for repair...
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment wher Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Lavankumar wrote:
i am new to the WMQ.

So tell your manager you need training before you can do your job. You won't get it here, because we can't give it.

Lavankumar wrote:

Which v7.5? Be precise.

Lavankumar wrote:
i have 2 Queue Managers in QM1

2 queue managers in QM1? What's QM1? How can we possible know what your environment looks like, especially when you make contradictory statements like that.

Lavankumar wrote:
IS MQM file system got full

How? What happened? Evil spirits start writing to the disk? Is this Prod? Test? Full of what? Why don't you just add more space to the mount? Why have you capitalized the mqm directory?

Lavankumar wrote:
help me guess wt i do

I see two options:

- randomly delete stuff to make space until the queue manager starts working or they fire you
- quit and find a job where they give you training before expecting you to perform complex technical tasks.

Lavankumar wrote:

Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:

I've already chucked a boat-load of fish at the OP, but that's with the minimal information supplied. As regards the other post, s-o-l on that one as my crystal ball went cloudy and it's in the shop for repair...

You have. So I went bad cop.

I mean seriously:

"I'm new, I've no clue, I've got this problem, help me".

I flip flop between being annoyed and sympathetic for these people. What kind of world do we live in where people are thrown unprepared into the deep end of the technological pool and the ones that can't swim are expected to be fished out by random volunteer strangers?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
I flip flop between being annoyed and sympathetic for these people. What kind of world do we live in where people are thrown unprepared into the deep end of the technological pool and the ones that can't swim are expected to be fished out by random volunteer strangers?

HR: "Welcome to the company Mr..."
CANDIDATE: "Thank you!"
MANAGER: "Welcome to the team. You are now responsible for MQ in this company"
CANDIDATE: "What the hell is that? I've never heard of it! Can I have training please?"
MANAGER: "There's no budget for training so Google it. If you don't like it, tough - there's a long queue of people behind you waiting for a job, if you get my meaning?"

I'd like to think the above doesn't happen, but...

...so I erred on the side of sympathy in this case.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment wher Reply with quote

Jedi

Lavankumar wrote:
i am new to the WMQ.
i have 2 Queue Managers in QM1 IS MQM file system got full coupls help me guess wt i do..

Common sense says to:
Request the sys admin to temporarily increase the size of the file system until you can work out what is going on.
Assuming the qmgrs data and logs are in same file system as /var/mqm, use "du -m /var/mqm | sort -n" to find the largest directories. If there are large q files, do not just delete them!
If a lot is space is used by /var/mqm/errors, the biggest files can be removed or moved.
If the qmgr is unresponsive, it should be possible to restart it with less than 10MB of free space, although this may be quickly consumed if there is an ongoing issue.
Consider setting up monitoring and alerting that detects >80% file system usage.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
What kind of world do we live in where people are thrown unprepared into the deep end of the technological pool and the ones that can't swim are expected to be fished out by random volunteer strangers?

One where experienced staff lose their jobs, so they can be offshored unfortunately.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
Vitor wrote:
What kind of world do we live in where people are thrown unprepared into the deep end of the technological pool and the ones that can't swim are expected to be fished out by random volunteer strangers?

One where experienced staff lose their jobs

Or retire.

Or bailout of defective management and HR structure and policies.

Or to get pay that more accurately reflects their skills...

Or to change countries and marry the woman of their dreams and get stuck in Ohio...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Or to change countries and marry the woman of their dreams and get stuck in Ohio...

The escape plan is a work in progress.

A lot depends on how I'm categorized by the new administration.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Vitor wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

You do have an international border to the north don't you. That boat you bought could come in useful to escape the 'New USA'.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
Vitor wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

You do have an international border to the north don't you. That boat you bought could come in useful to escape the 'New USA'.

Your geographic knowledge does you proud.

It is of course coincidental that the Canadian immigration site crashed on the night of the election. Some kind of DDoS attack probably.....

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQM file system full. Iam working in an environment where MQ
Jump to: