ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » clustering and websphere connection pointers

clustering and websphere connection pointers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqprimerib
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: clustering and websphere connection pointers Reply with quote

Apprentice

So for a cluster with 2 QMs named QM1 and QM2 on 2 different boxes. When accessing them by websphere application server, how would you point to them?

Would you just have a connector pointing to the first box and port of QM1's listener, but how is that high availability?

I've been asked to look into clustering our MQ 8 queues, but it's not clear how to access the cluster from WAS8.

How are others doing this?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What kind of clustering do you mean?

Are the apps that are sending messages and receiving messages both running in WAS?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: clustering and websphere connection pointers Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqprimerib wrote:
So for a cluster with 2 QMs named QM1 and QM2 on 2 different boxes. When accessing them by websphere application server, how would you point to them?

Be clear with your terms - are you talking about a WAS cluster or an MQ cluster? They are not the same things.

mqprimerib wrote:
Would you just have a connector pointing to the first box and port of QM1's listener, but how is that high availability?

You could use a CCDT. Or you could use a list in the connection name. Other methods are available and might be a better fit for your exact requirements.

mqprimerib wrote:
I've been asked to look into clustering our MQ 8 queues, but it's not clear how to access the cluster from WAS8.

It's been said before but you need to bear in mind that if the 2 queue managers are in an MQ cluster, the WAS server(s) can only retrieve messages from the queue manager they're connected to; you can't "connect" to an MQ cluster, only to one of the queue managers that participate in it. Any high availability topology needs to cater for that.
mqprimerib
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

To be clear, I'm looking at MQ multi-instance clustering.

Right now for proof of concept, I have 2 QMs on separate boxes, each a local queue configured with send/rcv channels that is working just fine. You can put msg on that local queue on machine 1 and it shows up on machine 2's queue as expected.

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by mqprimerib on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mqprimerib
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Also, for my POC, I have setup INVENTQ as the multi-instance queue. But my QM has many queues that I'd like to cluster.

Is it possible to cluster at the QM level? Or do I have to setup send/rcv channels for each local queue ?

I hope this makes sense.

display queue(*)
1 : display queue(*)
AMQ8409: Display Queue details.
QUEUE(INVENTQ) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.DEADLETTER) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.ERROR) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.OB.IDVREQUEST) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.OB.IDVREQUEST.NCC) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.OB.IDVREQUEST.TU) TYPE(QLOCAL)
QUEUE(Q.OB.IFT) TYPE(QLOCAL)
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqprimerib wrote:
I hope this makes sense.

No. You're mixing up a lot of separate concepts, and misunderstanding others.

mqprimerib wrote:
To be clear, I'm looking at MQ multi-instance clustering

No such thing. There are multi-instance queue managers, and there are clustered queue managers. You have 2 queue managers and nothing you've posted indicates either of them are multi-instance; just 2 queue managers linked with a sdr/rcvr channel pair and not, from what you've described, in an MQ cluster.

mqprimerib wrote:
Is it possible to cluster at the QM level? Or do I have to setup send/rcv channels for each local queue ?

All channels are at the queue manager level, be they MQ cluster channels or the sdr/rcvr channels you mention. It's legitimate to set up multiple sdr/rcvr pairs between 2 queue managers, and some use cases where it's a good idea. but for what you're describing you only need one.

And channels are never linked/dedicated/defined for any local or remote queue.

In an MQ cluster, membership of the cluster is at the queue manager level. Participation in the cluster is at a queue level.

mqprimerib wrote:
Also, for my POC, I have setup INVENTQ as the multi-instance queue.

In a multi-instance set up (which again, you don't have), all the queue manager objects participate in the MI if they want to or not. You certainly don't "setup <a queue> as the multi-instance queue".
mqprimerib
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We want to go with a Queue Manager Cluster. By definition it fits our needs:

Queue Manager Clusters – provide load-balancing and redundancy, but not message failover. This is what we want. In the rare instance of a QM failure, the messages will remain queued and can be recovered when the queue manager comes back online

I'll need to review how to set up just one send/receive pair between our two queue managers to make this work.

Vitor wrote:
In an MQ cluster, membership of the cluster is at the queue manager level. Participation in the cluster is at a queue level.

Okay this helps me understand how it all works. Thanks a bunch
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqprimerib wrote:
I'll need to review how to set up just one send/receive pair between our two queue managers to make this work.

You make this work by setting up cluster sender / receiver pairs between your two queue managers.

Seriously.

That's all you need to do.

In a real life situation (rather than this POC) you'd have the channels between the candidate queue managers and the 2 repositories, but clearly not here where there are only 2 queue managers.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

It's also (as I indicated) how you make this work if you're not using an MQ cluster and just using point to point.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Again, in all cases, your application will connect to a *single* queue manager.

If that queue manager does not have a local queue with the messages you want to read on it, you're stuck.

So when you have a queue manager cluster, and you want messages load balanced across them, you need to have a connection to each queue manager...

With WAS, this could be two separate JMS Destinations that point to different queue managers.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Again, in all cases, your application will connect to a *single* queue manager.

If that queue manager does not have a local queue with the messages you want to read on it, you're stuck.

So when you have a queue manager cluster, and you want messages load balanced across them, you need to have a connection to each queue manager...

With WAS, this could be two separate JMS Destinations that point to different queue managers.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » clustering and websphere connection pointers
Jump to: