ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Career development/advancement oppurtunities

Career development/advancement oppurtunities « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Career development/advancement oppurtunities Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello,

I was just curious so I am asking this. I have been doing IBM MQ Admin work for about 5.5 years and MB/IIB admin work for about 4 years now. I am fairly confident I have done all sorts of migrations, upgrades, issue resolutions, PMRs in this time. I have also worked with scripting using shell and perl. And can handle Linux admin stuff without any hassles. I would say i have done maybe 6 months worth of MB development and am dabbling with a bit of java programming now.

I was just thinking of learning something new in the IBM WebSphere Suite of tools to complement this knowledge. But am really confused and wondering if i should continue in these Suites for a career advancement. Just trying to picture a 5 years from now scenario and I see myself stuck still using these tools and still doing these migrations etc.

Please suggest a good option. Maybe i am looking for some new direction.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Things to look at:
Bluemix,
IOT,
Mix of Saas, Cloud based systems and Local systems
Watson

Oddly enough, specialize in an industry - healthcare, retail, whatever. Industry specific knowledge can give you a more long term career path outside of any specific technology.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Things to look at:
Bluemix,
IOT,
Watson

mqjeff wrote:

Often, and with varying degrees of appropriateness, referred to as "hybrid"

mqjeff wrote:
Industry specific knowledge can give you a more long term career path outside of any specific technology.

This is actually the interesting and valid piece of advice. You can train any fool to develop in Java or IIB (and many of the development teams here have done so, based on some of the foolish code) but it's harder to find someone who understands the industry enough to develop what the business means rather than what the business says.
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks a lot, guys. Some follow up questions.

Bluemix, Watson are proprietary IBM tools. I am wondering if the focus in the real world is shifting from IBM to more open source like CF. I know Bluemix is essentially CF. Atleast in my current job, the primary objective is saving money and i am seeing an obvious shift to open source for various tools and solutions.
When you say Industry specific knowledge, do you mean the various packs that are available with IIB?
Would learning Bluemix or Watson complement my knowledge in MQ and IIB? I am trying to keep MQ/IIB as my platform/base and build on this. Don't want to change tracks completely and learn something totally unrelated.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I don't mean the Industry packs that can get added to IIB.

I mean the industry itself - the formats, the generation and transfer of files, the business design, the business requirements...

The overall business, at least from a technical point of view.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abd.wsu wrote:
I am wondering if the focus in the real world is shifting from IBM to more open source like CF.

You'd be amazed how many corporate entities enjoy the comfort of being able to phone a vendor like IBM when there's a problem with a critical system rather than posting a question in places like this.

abd.wsu wrote:
I know Bluemix is essentially CF.

I know what you mean but don't really agree with you.

abd.wsu wrote:
Atleast in my current job, the primary objective is saving money and i am seeing an obvious shift to open source for various tools and solutions.

See above. Obviously varies by industry and size of company, but I would be surprised if a major player in (say) healthcare or banking was prepared to bet a sizeable wad of money on open source.

abd.wsu wrote:
When you say Industry specific knowledge, do you mean the various packs that are available with IIB?

I mean knowledge of a specific industry, not any of the packs. Full understanding of the packs only comes from knowledge of the industry.

abd.wsu wrote:
Would learning Bluemix or Watson complement my knowledge in MQ and IIB? I am trying to keep MQ/IIB as my platform/base and build on this. Don't want to change tracks completely and learn something totally unrelated.

IIB is in Bluemix as is MQ (as MessageConnect?)

I think Bluemix based solutions will become more important as customers of the kind of back office systems that IIB & MQ support.

Other opinions may vary and be equally or more valid.
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Some other components of WebSphere MQ that you might like to gain skills are MFT and AMS.

Casting a bit wider at IBM Integration products, you could look at InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Career development/advancement oppurtunities
Jump to: