ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0 Available

MO71 Version 9.0 Available « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: MO71 Version 9.0 Available Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

MQGem Software is pleased to announce that MO71 Version 9.0.0 is now available for download here http://www.mqgem.com/mo71_download.html Our many thanks to those who helped with Beta testing and offering suggestions for features in this release.

The main features of this release are:

• Support for IBM MQ V9.0 (Command Level 900)
  • Exporting lists now has a new 'All Fields' checkbox
  • Changing multiple objects can now belong to different Queue Managers
  • Support of CCDT URL
  • New Buffer Pool and Page Set dialogs
  • Ability to define, update and delete AMS Protection Policies
  • Show last monitor time on main window
  • Changing multiple objects is reflected in the dialog title bar

As before any current licenced users of MO71 can run the new version on their existing licence. If you don't have a licence and would like to try out MO71 please send a note to support@mqgem.com and a 1-month trial licence will be sent to you.

As always I welcome any comments or suggestions,

Cheers,
Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi Paul,

please check this out, after update on a qmgr object dialog, in this release to display data again it requires refresh, because all fields get emptied after update. The same action (update+refresh) on channel object dialog causes after refresh display of error message "Please enter a valid value for 'Channel Name'.", ie it requires manual entering of Channel Name in order to be usable again, or closing that dialogue and reopening it from the channel list dialog, if one wants to check if update is done as intended. If ping or start chl is done from a Channel List dialog, and the channel in question was not already in use, the list is emptied and it has to be refreshed in order to display channels again. All mentioned behaviour is introduced in this version, and I think this is not complete list, it's not something critical, ie these are minor deficiencies, but still it would be good that it behaves like before.

The behaviour that I would change also, and it's not introduced in this version, is when from a Channel List dialog Status... button is pressed with a certain channel selected, instead of spawning a new Channel Status List dialog with all instances for that channel, it only shows one at best, in a Channel Status dialog. That is if it is about svrconn channel. If it is about a sender channel, it may appear: >>No definitions found with a matching Connection Name value.<< with no channel instance displayed, only because there is (1414) appended to conname in a channel status table, in comparison to what is written in a channel definition, and/or nslookup resolution is made, that is, in a channel definition there is a hostname, and in channel status table there is an IP address. I expect in that case channel instance to be displayed in Channel Status List dialog, because I don't know what that checking of conname is good for, if channel name is selected, just present the instances of it regardless of what you find in them.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

This might be better discussed via email rather than in the forum however since you've made the comment here I'll respond.

The bug you describe was actually a bug that was reported during the Beta. However, my feeling/understanding was that it had been fixed. Can you please check the build date in the MO71 you have installed - it should say June 25th 2016.

As for your channel status point I am not sure I follow. MO71 will show either a list or a single object in the dialogs. If you want to see the list of channel status associated with a channel then use the list display. If you want to look in more detail at a particular channel status then double click on it. Sadly channel status records do not have a unique key. It is perfectly possible to have hundreds of channel status entries each with the same channel and conname. However, MO71 tries to use the conname to at least narrow down the selection. If you can think of a clever way of improving this then I am open to suggestions.

As I say, this is probably better discussed via email rather than the forum - feel free to write to support@mqgem.com

Cheers,

Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Excuse me, but now I don't follow you.
If I press Status... button on a Channel List dialog, with svrconn type channel selected, that has let's say 5 instances from different IP addresses, why don't you display all its instances in a Channel Status list dialog (with a filter for a channel name set in that dialog by passing it from previous list), instead of just one in a Channel Status dialog, selected by who knows which criteria, probably the first returned instance? And what does it have to do with clever narrowing down the selection by using conname, when that field does not exist at all in definition of that channel type?
And what exactly is clever about not displaying the single channel instance for reasons that I previously mentioned, when for example sender channel type is selected?
If I have to open by myself Channel Status list dialog and type in the channel name to filter it out, then what is that button in a Channel List for?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

jcv,

You sound upset. I am sorry to hear that. Please bear with me, this is the first I have heard of it and I am trying to understand your issues.

Quote:
why don't you display all its instances in a Channel Status list dialog (with a filter for a channel name set in that dialog by passing it from previous list), instead of just one in a Channel Status dialog, selected by who knows which criteria

The key difference between a single object dialog and a list dialog is that in a single object dialog you see all the fields and so you can easily scroll up and down and tab to the fields you are interested in. I'm not sure I see the advantage of a double click just showing another list of that channel name. If you want to see that then you could either just enter the channel name in the channel name field or you can use a filter (either predefined or entered).

Quote:
And what does it have to do with clever narrowing down the selection by using conname

I don't believe I said it was clever I tried to imply that I didn't see an alternative. If you have a channel status list with let's say 100 entries all for the same channel name it is possible that they all have the same CONNAME. However, it is also possible (likely) that they don't. So, if you double click on one of them it seems reasonable to me that I should at least filter only those entries with that CONNAME.

Quote:
when that field does not exist at all in definition of that channel type

I am not sure I see your point here. I assume you are talking either SVRCONN or RECEIVER. You don't specify a CONNAME in their definition but they display on in there channel status to let you know who is connected to them. If you double-click on a SVRCONN entry then I would very much expect to use CONNAME to filter out the instance. I don't see what the actual definition has to do with it.

Quote:
And what exactly is clever about not displaying the single channel instance for reasons that I previously mentioned, when for example sender channel type is selected?

Again, I have not claimed that any of this is clever. If you are referring to not seeing the channel definition when you press 'Definition...' then again I am not sure I follow you. When you are trying to look at the definition, rather than the channel status, then MO71 will not compare the CONNAME. Therefore it should not matter that the status have something like 'x.x.x.x(pppp)' and the definition has 'myhost'. Are you sure that is what you are seeing? Could it be that the channel definition is from somewhere else - for example a cluster sender?

Quote:
If I have to open by myself Channel Status list dialog and type in the channel name to filter it out, then what is that button in a Channel List for?

As I said before, lists show you many entries but only some of the fields (unless of course you choose to display all). The single object shows all the fields but for only one object. The idea of the button is a quick way of showing you all the entries. However, as we have discussed before this clearly won't work well if you have lots of entries with essentially the same key values.

I guess the real question is what do you think would fix your problem? For example, if there was a 'Status List...' button, alongside the 'Status...' button, which showed you another list dialog but filtered by the current channel name. Would that do it ?

Regards,

Paul.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

My apologies, reading your post again I think I mis-read it, must have been early morning. You are talking about pressing STATUS from a DEFINITION list. For some reason I read that as from a STATUS list.

I think I understand now. You are quite right it probably would make better sense for that STATUS button to bring up a channel status list.

I shall look in to it and let you know if/when it is available.

Cheers,

Paul.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Ok, if you download a new version of MO71 from http://www.mqgem.com/mo71_download.html you should find the behaviour you wanted. The program should have a build date of July 8th.

Cheers,

Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

OK, I think this is correctly implemented with no apparent side effects.
jcv
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi Paul,

I think "Put Message..." option is a little bit too rudimentary, that is, not very rich in options. So OK, no problem, you have "API Exerciser...", but there is missing MQRO_ACTIVITY Report Option in MQMD. So OK, I used IH03 instead to produce Activity Report, and checked how does your message parser reads such MQMD then, and it consistently cannot recognize that:

Report :00000004
00000004 ** Unrecognised **

I guess this should be just as easy as adding MQRO_ACTIVITY to a certain include header file. That is build date of July 25th, sorry if it is already reported, or if I missed something.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about the lack of MQRO_ACTIVITY, it had not been reported before. If you download a new version of MO71 from http://www.mqgem.com/mo71_download.html
you should see it is now fixed.

My apologies for any inconvenience,

Cheers,

Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi,

OK, thanks. In API Exerciser, after MQCONN is issued, object names from that qmgr should be loaded into drop down list in MQOD for MQOPEN, if another object qmgr name is selected from the drop down list there, object names could be reloaded accordingly. It's not neccessary to check eligibility of each object according to selected open options parameters, issuing of MQOPEN will answer that question.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hello again.

We are always willing to hear from customers about new requirements but I'm not entirely sure that this is the right forum for it. Unless, of course, you want to canvass opinion about it from other MO71 users.

If you have a bug report or new requirement then you would probably do better by sending an email to support@mqgem.com

As for your comments the API Exerciser does show the queues in the MQOD dropdown that match the Queue Manager in the MQOD. If you change the Queue Manager the list of queues is modified. Provided, of course, that MO71 has a list of those Queue Manager's queues. Select refresh information if it doesn't.

Regards,

Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

That may be of course to you, but to me this is not a normal application behaviour. Application should at that point:
a) show a list of queues if it has it
b) refresh information automatically if it doesn't
c) warn if it cannot do refresh (this is not likely if object qmgr remains the same to which MQCONN is issued in the first step, but otherwise possible)
And it really doesn't matter how thin is a window of opportunity for a) to be not fulfilled, you shouldn't act like this is normal, expect me to tolerate this when it happens, instructing me like I am supposed to expect this and do manual refresh in that case. If I am going to tolerate this, please let it be my decision. OK?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You sound upset. My apologies if anything I said in my previous append made you upset.

There can be quite valid reasons why the user might not want the list of objects refreshed automatically. Some customers have Queue Managers with thousands of queues and they administer those queues over client connections with limited bandwidth. Do you really want MO71 to just decide that it will always refresh the object lists ?

Instead MO71 allows the user to choose whether to download objects or not. In the location dialog go to the Options tab and in the Operation section ensure that 'Download Objects' is switched on. Now MO71 will download the objects automatically. In the 'General' tab of the preference dialog ensure that 'Save object definitions' is checked. This means that MO71 will remember the list of queues from one start to the next. You can also change the 'Object refresh Rate' in the Network tab to the frequency you would like MO71 to refresh it's list of objects. So, you can decide whether it downloads them every day, every hour or every minute.

It is still the case that if you want MO71 to show you the very latest and greatest set of queues that you should click the refresh button. I wouldn't have though you would want MO71 downloading the list of queues every time you dropdown the list.

Does that help any ?

Regards,

Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

I'm afraid it does not. Because, I don't expect any general setting to affect automatic query of neccesary information (queue names), if that list is empty, only for that particular qmgr selected, only at that point in time when demanded, at that point in application (API Exerciser after MQCONN, on MQOPEN tab, MQOD section). What exactly does this have to do for example with the overall number of qmgrs, regular refresh intervals, deciding if downloaded data should be saved or not, and such things that you are mentioning?
If I need that information there, and it is not already present, it should be fetched from qmgr in that moment by that option. Don't you agree?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0 Available
Jump to: