ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Propagating NTLM authentication to back-end service

Propagating NTLM authentication to back-end service « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Propagating NTLM authentication to back-end service Reply with quote

Master

Yes, I'm still a n00b.

I'm investigating how to integrate IIB 10.0.0.3/4 into an existing service landscape running mostly on Windows platforms where consumers authenticate with providers using IWA/NTLM.

The setup for my PoC is simple:

Flow 1: SoapIn -> stuff -> SoapRequest (to Flow 2)-> stuff -> SoapReply
Flow 2 (acting as a stub for the back end): SoapIn -> SoapRequest (to a SoapUI mock service without authentication) -> SoapReply

I've configured both flows with the Default Propagation profile and done the necessary work to make sure the flows authenticate using IWA. Both Flow 1 and 2 work as expected when provided with requests using NTLM authentication headers.

The problem is in sending requests from Flow 1 to Flow 2: the username token propagated into the flow (obviously) lacks credentials, so the request from Flow 1 to Flow 2 will fail.

I've produced a workaround by retrieving the password from a directory server using a Java Compute node, but this workaround requires that passwords be stored in the directory server in an unencrypted form.

After about a week of reading through the IBM knowledge base and whatnot, I've been unable to find a solution that works with IWA/NTLM and that does not require the retrieval of unencrypted credentials.

Yet I cannot imagine this is such an uncommon problem. Certainly there must be other environments using simple NTLM authentication where the ESB is tasked with propagating the necessary authentication data to back-end services? What am I missing? (I'm assuming that I'm missing a lot, since I've little experience with this authentication mechanism.)

Are there any common patterns or preferred solutions with the above specifications?

Any answers greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gr,

Gr.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If all of the information you have in the incoming request (the security token) doesn't contain enough information about how to authenticate to the back side service, then how do other applications in this infrastructure solve the problem?

Also, you dont't need to store passwords in an external database. You should be able to use mqsisetdbparms (or whatever it's hopefully been renamed to by now) to store the password securely on the broker and reference that id from inside the flow. If only by setting it directly on the SoapRequest node to cause every request sent out by the flow to be authenticated as the same user.
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Hi mqjeff, thanks for responding.

mqjeff wrote:
If all of the information you have in the incoming request (the security token) doesn't contain enough information about how to authenticate to the back side service, then how do other applications in this infrastructure solve the problem?

This is precisely my question. Shouldn't it be possible to propagate *a* valid token to the backend provider (eg. by simply using the same NTLM handshake tokens in the socketconnector) in such a way that it doesn't allow or require access to authentication data other than the identity propagated into the flow? I realize that this is probably closer to an RFE than a support question. Clients I've worked for so far have relied on other mechanisms for security and authentication than their ESB so that a simple authentication against a WSS password token usually sufficed; this is a learning experience for me.

mqjeff wrote:
You should be able to use mqsisetdbparms to store the password securely on the broker and reference that id from inside the flow.

Propagating a static identity to the back end is one way, but it does mean the back end application can no longer do any authorization on the identity used by the client. It suffices for a simple PoC, but I can imagine there are scenarios in which it doesn't.

mqjeff wrote:
(or whatever it's hopefully been renamed to by now)

Neh. And I'm calling integration servers execution groups until IBM changes all of their documentation as well
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Gralgrathor wrote:
Hi mqjeff, thanks for responding.

mqjeff wrote:

This is precisely my question. Shouldn't it be possible to propagate *a* valid token to the backend provider (eg. by simply using the same NTLM handshake tokens in the socketconnector) in such a way that it doesn't allow or require access to authentication data other than the identity propagated into the flow?

That doesn't sound like exactly my point.

You are trying to add Application N (for a very generic sense of 'application').

Existing Applications A,B, C, etc, already have a solution to this problem.

What is it? How does it work?

If A,B,C don't have a solution, then why does yours need one? How does the back end team suggest you solve this problem?

If the message data itself contains information about the client app, then maybe a static id works.
mgk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

NTLM specifically is not a "forwardable" protocol, so you cannot send the inbound credentials onto a backend service. This is not specific to IIB, rather it is a feature on NTLM itself. The usual pattern for NTLM use is for the "mid-tier" app (IIB in this case) to use a single trusted credential for connecting to back end services and in this case this would probably be the IIB service user ID, so all inbound requests connect to the backend as a the single trusted ID. However, you can of course connect outbound with a specific ID instead (mapped from the inbound ID) using a DB for example, but you need to store passwords in the clear somewhere (in the DB?) for this to work.

It is also worth noting that IWA when used with SPNEGO to negotiate the use of Kerberos credentials (rather than NTLM) is "forwardable" using Kerberos delegation, but currently (@10.0.0.4) IIB does not support Kerberos credential delegation - so it would be worth raising an RFE if you really need this behaviour.

I hope this helps...
ksrocks9
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Gralgrathor this may be helpful to solve your problem http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70579&sid=3307ff2625a26be61755eefe254514f5

In my case IWA was not supported for inbound request, I just enabled NTLM. For outbound requests IWA worked for me.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Propagating NTLM authentication to back-end service
Jump to: