ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MB 6.0 to 8.0

MB 6.0 to 8.0 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rammer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: MB 6.0 to 8.0 Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi All,

The following is going to be sketchy as I do not at the moment have all the details but at a very high level I have been asked to look into upgrading Message Broker 6 to Version 8 (I know that goes out of support next year). Version 8 will be running on a new environment.

Current version MB 6.0.x (waiting to find out what patch level)
Toolkit - not sure yet!
MQ - 5.3

New Environment
MQ 8.x
MB 8.x

Reading the manual for MB 8 there does not appear to be a direct upgrade from 6.0.

reading the manual for MB 7 there does appear to be a migration path.

It mentions that MB6.0 can migrate to 7.0 though. So here is a very very sketchy and no doubt full of errors assumption from me, but it "may" be possible to install Toolkit 7 into a new location, start it and point it to the 6.0 workspace, then maybe install version 8 toolit and do similar before deploying to MB8 Broker?

Ive just paraphased some of what the IBM manual says
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKM8N_7.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bh44680_.htm?lang=en

but would be interested from the experts out there that have done this and provide some guidelines.

Off course I would be looking to do this within a test env first that is fully backed up to allow rollback in case / if I screw up!.

Thanks in advance
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You shouldn't migrate existing runtimes.

You should migrate development resources, and rebuild and retest them, and then deploy them to a new environment.

Or you should go back to the business requirements and implement new solutions using the much improved (and easier to migrate/maintain) functions of WMB v8...

And insist on creating a project plan to move from WMBv8 to WMBv9/10 in the next two yeras.
rammer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Thanks for the quick response MQJEFF.

I get the feeling that the client is short of time due to datacentre move and having to get off old unsupported versions of MQ / MB. As mentioned at the moment everything is really sketchy and I am not really the correct person to be doing this but Ive been asked to help, so I am starting to scratch around.

At the moment they do not want or have the time to do any redevelopment unless some testing fails and it forces it, but once they have migrated and (it works) they will then start looking at utilising 8 improvements. I know on other accounts where we have just gone from 6.1 to 8.0 we deployed as is, as the customer wanted no re-writes or pay for any re-writes to code..

I understand the above will not be preferred way and in theory could become hassle if things dont work but I can only go on what I am being tasked with at the moment.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You might be able to simply deploy v6 jars.

That would allow you to test runtime function. Migrating source would then be a separate issue.
timber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I cannot think of a single good reason for deploying WMBv8 when IIBv10 is available.
rammer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

timber wrote:
I cannot think of a single good reason for deploying WMBv8 when IIBv10 is available.

No idea but this is customer driven. I do think though that they are planning on going to the next stage at some time.
NealM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Perhaps your client is not aware of the 4/30/2017 EOS date on MB8,
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycleapp/PLCDetail.wss?q45=H688966W42846K67 (same date for Europe)
Or perhaps they are not even aware of the name change of the product for v9/v10, which may be why they are thinking v8.

In any case, there was a whopping big amount of changes between v6.0 and v8, and not very much different between v8 and v10 re: old flows. If you run into any migration/conversion problems, that v8 EOS date may bite them.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Looking at some of the APARs on IIB v10 - I would stick with v9 for now. At least then you can still use MQ explorer with it.
rammer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

There aware of retirement date. I am not sure why they are taking this path but I don't have any history of the client so we shall how good it goes

IBM have just emailed me some process so I'll take a look and test when I get back in office next week

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MB 6.0 to 8.0
Jump to: