ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Moving MQ/IIB to new Servers

Moving MQ/IIB to new Servers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
venkataa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Moving MQ/IIB to new Servers Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using MQv7.5.0.3 and IIBv9.0.0.2 in multi instance mode on RHELv6.3 Servers. We are moving to other servers with RHELv6.7 due to memory and other issues.
I am planing to install the product again and add instances and copy content under /MQHA to new servers. Will this approach works ?

Backup and restore won't work as operating systems levels are different. Please advice me if we have any better way to move...
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqsibackupbroker and mqsirestorebroker will work. You don't have to be on exactly the same OS version, just the same type of OS.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Moving MQ/IIB to new Servers Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

venkataa wrote:
Hi,

I am using MQv7.5.0.3 and IIBv9.0.0.2 in multi instance mode on RHELv6.3 Servers. We are moving to other servers with RHELv6.7 due to memory and other issues.
I am planing to install the product again and add instances and copy content under /MQHA to new servers. Will this approach works ?

Backup and restore won't work as operating systems levels are different. Please advice me if we have any better way to move...

/MQHA is just a mount point. We have no idea what lies underneath it.

As has been said, mqsibabkbroker/mqsirestorebroker will do part of the job.

There is more to do besides.
For example
- ODBCini
- Firewall config
- user config
- group config
- directory permissions and ownership
- Shared memory and semaphores
- ulimit etc
etc
etc
etc

Then there is MQ.
You have to correctly backup and restore MQ. Don't just rely on copying the QMGR directories. Personally, that is about the last thing I'd do.

You do have scripts hat will create and provision the Queu Manager Don't you?
Then use them to re-create the queue manager. This way you can increase things like the QMGR log size if needed.
Then you have to save and restore those pesky permissions.
It might also be an opportunity to move to MQ 8.

All these sorts need to be taken into consideration otherwise you may find that you are back to where you were with the same set of problems etc.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, there are lots of other things to take into account.

Put it this way, if you are not a MQ and broker expert and you've been asked to move a clustered environment - you are likely to have major problems.

You need to understand all aspects of how your MQ and broker cluster is accessed including DNS and any load-balancing.

You need to prepare a plan of how you are going to migrate including queues, messages, keystores, truststores, data files on the broker host, ssh keys, users/groups etc.

There are some ways to simplify matters - e.g. copy the ssh keys from the old host rather then create new ones.

Much can be done in advance, some things will need to be during cutover.

I would want someone experienced for this sort of job. I've did it recently (albeit on a very complex HA/CMP dual site cluster) and it's not easy.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:

I would want someone experienced for this sort of job. I've did it recently (albeit on a very complex HA/CMP dual site cluster) and it's not easy.

I've also done this and am doing another one in a couple of months.

so to echo my esteemed colleague, it is not easy. But this can be mitigated buy:-

1) Documenting it all down to the finest detail. Every command, window and setting captured.
2) Testing ,testing and yet more testing until you are sure that what you are doing is right.
3) Willingness to make mistakes along the way, learn from them, document what went wrong and how you got round it. I know this is not easy in some environments but unless you are prepared to pay top $$$ for people like zpat and myself (I don't think we are for hire btw) you will have to become your own subject matter expert.
You can't become one without making mistakes, going down blind alleys. etc etc etc

Above all, it take time and effort. If your management thiks doing this PROPERLY is as easy as copying a few directories then I for one would be putting my CV out and looking for another position.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If you are not changing the version of MQ and or Broker (and I mean to the last version/fixpack digit), you might want to make the new machine part of the multi-instance set up. Remember that there are also other considerations to take into account like machine and user set up on the new machines, load balancing, etc...

Have fun working out your own way...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
you might want to make the new machine part of the multi-instance set up.

If you have to delete the queue manager, you might consider revisiting the deployment architecture and procedures.

The kinds of information and artifacts you need to move a qmgr and broker to another machine should already be stored under some kind of backup/change management along with a setup/configuration document (that is UP TO DATE!!!)
venkataa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies,

backup/restore working as expected.

Installed same version of MQ/IIB on new server and created QMGR and Broker with same name after taking all pre requisite settings of installation().
Took the backup of my QM using dmpmqcfg and broker using mqsibackupbroker and restored respectively. I am able to see all queue manager objects and all execution groups, applications as well as configurable services i created.
Luckily it is not Clustered QM and we are not using SSL also.
We are scheduling cutover for opening ports to DBs and others.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Well done for getting it to work

However, are you really, really, really sure that the output from dmpmqcfg is totally correct. There are some apars for this especially in the area of authorisations.

You may have been lucky this time. Next time? Who knows eh?
That is why we suggested going back to first principles and the maintained scripts that were used to create the system in the first place.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Moving MQ/IIB to new Servers
Jump to: