ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » IBM MQ 2397 Error

IBM MQ 2397 Error « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Depending on the version of Java you are using this might be the problem right there... SSL is no longer supported as a secure protocol the minimum these days being TLS and a key of minimum 2048 in size...

Have fun
crusader
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

which java version shall i use? is it a must i must use kdb instead of jks since i'm using websphere mq?

i tried creating self-signed using both key database management UI from IBM and java keytool but it doesn't solve this problem

if i'm using one way ssl, do i need to specify keystore on client site? what i think is don't need but i'm afraid i might be wrong the whole concept of ssl connection
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

crusader wrote:
which java version shall i use? is it a must i must use kdb instead of jks since i'm using websphere mq?

i tried creating self-signed using both key database management UI from IBM and java keytool but it doesn't solve this problem

if i'm using one way ssl, do i need to specify keystore on client site? what i think is don't need but i'm afraid i might be wrong the whole concept of ssl connection

For the server (MQ) you need a kdb store. For the client you will need a JKS type store. If all you do is one way SSL the client will need the server's cert chain in it's truststore. However due to some default, it may be advisable to also have your own cert for the client. I assume your next step will be 2 way SSL...

Unlike HTTP the cipher-spec/ cipher suite is not negotiated to the highest capable, but is fixed through the channel's cipher spec. So read up in the infocenter which cipher suite (+ ssl fips) matches which cipher spec...
crusader
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

However due to some default, it may be advisable to also have your own cert for the client<<<< does it mean i need to have my keystore in which my own cert is? and another truststore in which server cert is?

I have tried that way also and still encounter "protocol disable or cipher spec inappropriate" error.

I want to try testing using amqsputc with SSL but where i can set cipher spec for it?

I set MQSERVER, MQSSLKEYR in system environment variables but i don't know where to set cipher spec? because i want to fall back to basic trying testing using mq client & mq server.

i can send message using amqsputc without ssl. now i want to send msg again using amqsputc with SSL
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

crusader wrote:
However due to some default, it may be advisable to also have your own cert for the client<<<< does it mean i need to have my keystore in which my own cert is? and another truststore in which server cert is?

I have tried that way also and still encounter "protocol disable or cipher spec inappropriate" error.

I want to try testing using amqsputc with SSL but where i can set cipher spec for it?

I set MQSERVER, MQSSLKEYR in system environment variables but i don't know where to set cipher spec? because i want to fall back to basic trying testing using mq client & mq server.

i can send message using amqsputc without ssl. now i want to send msg again using amqsputc with SSL

The cipherspec is set on the SVRCONN channel.
And as it said the cipherspec you chose may no longer be suitable.... as it is not TLS...
crusader
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

yes i set "RC4_MD5_US" to Channel on MQ Server side. meaning i dun need to define cipher suite if i try sending message using amqsputc from mq client machine?

AFAIK i need to set two environment variables on client machine, MQSERVER and MQSSLKEYR.

if cipher spec i choose is no longer suitable, which cipher spec shall i use? is there a way to know which cipher spec is should use depending on my client jar file version and server version?

I am now using mq server 7.0.1.6 and mq client jar file version is 7.5.0.2.

thank u
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

crusader wrote:
...AFAIK i need to set two environment variables on client machine, MQSERVER and MQSSLKEYR...

From the documentation: "...You cannot use MQSERVER to define an SSL channel or a channel with channel exits..."
crusader
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

if i want to connect using jms client, shall i use MQQueueConnectionFactory or MQConnectionFactory to use cipherspec?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

crusader wrote:
if i want to connect using jms client, shall i use MQQueueConnectionFactory or MQConnectionFactory to use cipherspec?

Both support the cipher suite and SSL_FIPS_REQUIRED attributes...
The question is really will your JSSE support the ciphersuite chosen...
See http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.msc.doc/xms_csecure_mapping_wmq.htm?lang=en
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q010240_.htm?lang=en
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q014260_.htm?lang=en

You may also want to notice the required levels of java for some of the cipher spec / cipher suite combinations.

crusader
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thank you.

I put below line in my jvm option and it works, miracel happened

-Dcom.ibm.jsse2.disableSSLv3=false

Thank you guys
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

crusader wrote:
Thank you.

I put below line in my jvm option and it works, miracel happened

-Dcom.ibm.jsse2.disableSSLv3=false

Thank you guys

Sure but SSL V3 is no longer considered secure. Use TLS.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
Sure but SSL V3 is no longer considered secure. Use TLS.

Proven insecure. Do not use SSL v3.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » IBM MQ 2397 Error
Jump to: