ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » Syntax for installing EAR application?

Syntax for installing EAR application? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

I'm trying to figure out the syntax for installing an app.

AdminApp.install("/home/jamie/myApp.ear")

com.ibm.ws.scripting.ScriptingException: WASX7109E: Insufficient data for install task "MapWebModToVH

ADMA0010E: Validation error in task Selecting virtual hosts for Web modules. A virtual host is not specified for web module lib/ens-delivery-rest-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war with URI lib/myApp-Web-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war,WEB-INF/web.xml."

I've been reading through the ibm documentation for hours and I cannot find any examples on how to map web module to a virtual host.

I've tried many permutations with no success:

AdminApp.install("/home/jamie/myApp.ear", ['-defaultbinding.virtual.host', ['default_host']])

WASX7436W: At least one default binding option has been specified, but usedefaultbindings option has not been specified. The default binding option(s) will be ignored.
WASX7015E: Exception running command: "AdminApp.install("/home/jamie/myApp.ear", ['-defaultbinding.virtual.host', 'default_host'])"; exception information:
com.ibm.ws.scripting.ScriptingException: WASX7109E: Insufficient data for install task "MapWebModToVH
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

The closest syntax I could find was:

wsadmin>AdminApp.install("/home/jamie/JamieApp.ear", ['-appname', 'JamieApp', '-usedefaultbindings'])
ADMA5011I: The cleanup of the temp directory for application JamieApp is complete.
ADMA5014E: The installation of application JamieApp failed.
WASX7015E: Exception running command: "AdminApp.install("/home/jamie/JamieApp.ear", ['-appname', 'JamieApp', '-usedefaultbindings'])"; exception information:
com.ibm.ws.scripting.ScriptingException: WASX7132E: Application install for /home/jamie/JamieApp.ear failed: see previous messages for details.

The IBM error message once again is completely useless...
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

Anyone???
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Can you confirm that you are using network deployment?
If yes what does the infocenter have to say about the jacl for deployment using ND ?
My guess is that there must be either somewhere in the doc a way to target a specific instance of WAS in the network for deployment.

My understanding is that you are just providing the EAR/WAR file but not specifying which instance is being targeted for the deployment.

If using the GUI this would be done by choosing one of the available instances.

Are you sure that you don't need 3 jacl commands?
1 to select the ear/war file
1 to select the instance to deploy to
1 to kick off the deployment
??
Have you looked at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAW57_8.5.5/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/ae/txml_7libapp.html?lang=en?
And more specifically at
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAW57_8.5.5/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/ae/rxml_7libapp.html?lang=en

From the number of posts you've had on the subject this one is really one for

sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

I was able to get it to work after many hours of trial and error. IBM documentation is really terrible.

My solution is on github.

https://github.com/jamie3/websphere-wsadmin
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

sleepyjamie wrote:
I was able to get it to work after many hours of trial and error. IBM documentation is really terrible.

Why don't you take the opportunity to Tell IBM that their documentation is horrible? Facilities are available to do this.
This is the only way it can get improved so that others don't his the same problem as you.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

smdavies99 wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:

Why don't you take the opportunity to Tell IBM that their documentation is horrible? Facilities are available to do this.
This is the only way it can get improved so that others don't his the same problem as you.

Yeah I've gone through a few channels over the last couple years. Not much movement on IBMs side.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:
Yeah I've gone through a few channels over the last couple years.

Was one of them the Feedback button on the page? Or just talking to random IBM people at conferences?

sleepyjamie wrote:
Not much movement on IBMs side.

No response at all? Acknowledgement but no change? A failure to admit you're completely right and instantly edit the page?

Patience and persistence are virtues. As are using the supplied channels, which the IBM authors do read.
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Centurion

Vitor wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:
Yeah I've gone through a few channels over the last couple years.

Was one of them the Feedback button on the page? Or just talking to random IBM people at conferences?

sleepyjamie wrote:
Not much movement on IBMs side.

No response at all? Acknowledgement but no change? A failure to admit you're completely right and instantly edit the page?

Patience and persistence are virtues. As are using the supplied channels, which the IBM authors do read.

Patience is key, but the the business can't wait 2-5 years for IBM to play catchup. The channels I've went through so far are Twitter, Youtube, IBM sales engineers, forums, IBM reps, IBM feedback forums. Not sure what else is left. I realize IBM is a big company, and they are slow to adapt to change, and updating documentation is expensive.

Their documentation strategies are improving with their new products.

Anyhow, I was able to figure it out but the answer was from a non-IBM blog.

mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Adding comments directly to the problem page in the knowledge center is the most straight forward way to get requests/information/complaints to the right people as quickly as possible.

Raising a sev4 doc PMR is the next best way.

Talking to anyone outside the relevant lab team is very likely to produce very little result.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syntax for installing EAR application? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:
Not sure what else is left.

The one thing you should have used up front. Okay - 2 things.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Adding comments directly to the problem page in the knowledge center is the most straight forward way to get requests/information/complaints to the right people as quickly as possible.

I've got changes into the IIB docs this way.

mqjeff wrote:
Raising a sev4 doc PMR is the next best way.

I've used this too, especially when the documentation is unclear and causes this kind of issue.

mqjeff wrote:
Talking to anyone outside the relevant lab team is very likely to produce very little result.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » Syntax for installing EAR application?
Jump to: