ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » "Content-Encoding=gzip" not enough to make WSReply

"Content-Encoding=gzip" not enough to make WSReply « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AntonBricina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: "Content-Encoding=gzip" not enough to make WSReply Reply with quote

Dear IIB-Experts,

we have a requirement, where we need to send a compressed payload in a response to a SOAP-request. I have set a HTTP-Header "Content-Encoding=gzip" and in SOAP-UI I can see, that the header reaches the Client (SOAP-UI),... it says "Content-Encoding=gzip"

However the WSReply-Node does not compress the payload (the xml)

What else do I have to do? The IIB docu is imho not clear about this.

Has anyone tried/done compressed HTTP/SOAP-Responses and might share some insights?

Highly appreciated, thanks,
Anton
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Content-Encoding=gzip" not enough to make WSR Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AntonBricina wrote:
What else do I have to do? The IIB docu is imho not clear about this.

I don't see anywhere in that link where it talks about the SOAPReply node compressing a response based on the content.

I see it talking about uncompressing a message received over a SOAPInput node, and I see it talking about compressing a message being sent out over a SOAPRequest or SOAPAsyncRequest node.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

And the SoapReply node should compress the data going out, as long as that data still indicates it should be compressed...

What's the WSReply-Node?
AntonBricina
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
What's the WSReply-Node?

Sorry, my bad... I rechecked here,... we use the HTTP Reply Node

There is no mention of 'compression' or 'gzip' in the IBM docu

So from how I understand:

1. We can send a HTTP-Request (and put in the 'flag' to request a compressed reply)

2. We can receive (and decompress) compressed HTTP-Replies

3. We can NOT reply with a compressed HTTP-Reply to a request (made by someone who PROPERLY indicated that they wanted a compressed response)
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The HTTP reply node should handle the necessary instructions in the message it's given. For those things the documentation says it does.

I don't remember if it handles compression. But my first instinct is that you have lost the parts of the input message tree that request compression, or haven't moved them to the HTTPReplyHeader.
AntonBricina
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
The HTTP reply node should handle the necessary instructions in the message it's given. For those things the documentation says it does.

The documentation does not mention anything about compression or gzip

We will open a PMR to clarify with IBM

P.S.: A collegue of mine said, that "even Tomcat can do that" and that "this is "total standard""

I replied, that the typical way is to wrap IBM's functionality (node's) in a subflow and provide your own [http-gzip], but he did (clearly) not like this answer

I also told him that Broker's focus is on stability (and not on feature richness) and that it's root (IBM's roots) are in Banking and WebSphereMQ (90% of all financial transaction are going through WebSphereMQ)... kind of like HTTP (the http-part(s) in Broker) is 'just' internet-toys and WebSphereMQ is the real thing (we use REST and SOAP and no WMQ on our project here, which is imho not the center/heart of where (Broker) and MQ shine)
timber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
I replied, that the typical way is to wrap IBM's functionality (node's) in a subflow and provide your own [http-gzip], but he did (clearly) not like this answer
That is understandable - if he had been using another product that offers this feature, then it will make IIB look bad.
Quote:
I also told him that Broker's focus is on stability (and not on feature richness)
I have to disagree there. IIB's feature list compares very well with other ESBs. Like all products, there are gaps that need filling, and you seem to have found one.
Quote:
and that it's root (IBM's roots) are in Banking and WebSphereMQ (90% of all financial transaction are going through WebSphereMQ)... kind of like HTTP (the http-part(s) in Broker) is 'just' internet-toys and WebSphereMQ is the real thing
IBM does not regard HTTP, web services, ERP, files and TCP/IP as 'toys'. IIB may have started out in banking, but it now has a strong presence in many industries.

In summary, you appear to have found a missing feature. Open a PMR and clearly describe the problem - you may find that a solution is available or can be made available.
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Http Reply not compressing response Reply with quote

Acolyte

Did you raise PMR for this? was there any outcome?

Http Reply node is not compressing the payload even after specifying "Content-Encoding" as "gzip" in HttpReplyHeader.

I also kept Accept-Encoding to gzip in the headers but no luck.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation which says HttpReply node can compress the response.

Just wanted feedback from your PMR, before raising mine.
Craig B
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Compression functionality was not added to the HTTP/SOAP Reply nodes because the HTTPConnector did this already long before the HTTP/SOAP input and HTTP/SOAP request nodes got their compression options.

Compression settings for HTTP Connectors are documented at:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/an09141_.htm?lang=en

This is for the Broker wide listener connector but equally apply to the Integration server connectors as well.

The configuration of reply compression does not guarantee that the data will be compressed. Whether it is or not will be dependent on:

1) whether the inbound request had the appropriate accepts header
2) the outbound bit-stream is of the appropriate size to be compressed
3) the content type is in the list of compressableMimeTypes
4) the User-Agent field in the inbound request is not in the list of noCompressionUserAgents."

As mentioned in (2) above the HTTPConnector will only compress the output if it is above a certain length. The default minimum size is 2K.
AntonBricina
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Http Reply not compressing response Reply with quote

IIB_Intel wrote:
Did you raise PMR for this? was there any outcome?

The result of the PMR was that "this feature is not part of the product" and the product "works as designed"

Problem Summary: HTTPReply and SOAPReply nodes don't support compression

Solution: This works as designed

We have opened an RFE, but there is no pressure on our side or date communicated from IBM, since...

...we are just going without compression/decompression now

We are not 100% sure, but also came to think that compression should be added and removed at the "Boundary Component" (Web-Server) (and not "Application-Server" (which Broker is))

Last edited by AntonBricina on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You can, of course, compress the data in your flow before you attach it to the request message.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Http Reply not compressing response Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AntonBricina wrote:
We have opened an RFE

Post the link, so people who agree with you (and can't / won't use the solution outlined by @Craog B can vote for it.

Votes mean upgrades.
AntonBricina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Http Reply not compressing response Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
Post the link, so people who agree with you (and can't / won't use the solution outlined by @Craog B can vote for it.

Votes mean upgrades.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=81739

I can only see if logged in with the account that I created the RFE with

Last edited by AntonBricina on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Http Reply not compressing response Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AntonBricina wrote:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=81739

I can only see if logged in

Functioning as designed. Prevents voter fraud

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » "Content-Encoding=gzip" not enough to make WSReply
Jump to: