ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » SSL for MQ client on AS/400 COBOL iSeries

SSL for MQ client on AS/400 COBOL iSeries « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rockz007
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: SSL for MQ client on AS/400 COBOL iSeries Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm pretty much new to the world of SSL in AS/400. We have MQ installed as a client on our AS/400, and the MQ server is installed on another UNIX machine. Until now we are able to connect without SSL, but now we have to use SSL. I tried to browse for related information on how to actual make a connection to MQ server from MQ client.

As far as I can find out I believe I need to set SSLKEYR with the key repository and then set MQSSLKEYR to point to that key location of SSLKEYR, I am not able to understand how to make an SSL handshake and stuff, I am pretty much new to this, and I am running on a very tight timeline here.

Can anyone help me that what needs to be done from the client AS/400 to be able to communicate using SSL.

Thanks in advance
rockz007
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got the key.kdb, key.rdb, key.sth from the UNIX server and I also have AMQCLCHL.TAB set up with the queue managers and channel connections.

I put the key.* files in /QIBM/UserData/mqm and then I set MQSSLKEYR environment variable as below

"/QIBM/UserData/mqm/key"

Then when I try to do an MQCONN it fails with MQRC 2381, am I still missing anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Are you following instructions from the KC? If do, what is the iurl?
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I don't about the MQ client, but the full QM on i-Series can use the standard operating system certificate store.

There are instructions in the IBM documentation about how to install MQ certificates into that.
rockz007
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure on what you mean by KC.

I am no longer receiving the previous MARC. I ran a utility from which generated the .Sth stash file for the passwords from the .Kdb file which I got from the server. Previously I was using the one which my server team gave to me.

Now when I try to connect I get mqrc 2393, which says the remote channel doesn't have SSL certificate. So we couldn't establish a 2 way handshake, but when we set the authentication to optional on the server one way hand shake was established.

The server side is saying that they don't know why 2393 is being received.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Knowledge Center - aka Infocenter.

The IBM documentation on the web for MQ.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

KC is IBM's Knowledge Center website. I'm asking if you are following instructions in a document? Or are you just guessing on how to implement SSL?

Did you search google for 'ssl+iSeries' to see if what you are trying to do is documented step-by-step?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

rockz007 wrote:
I ran a utility from which generated the .Sth stash file for the passwords from the .Kdb file which I got from the server. Previously I was using the one which my server team gave to me.

Please be a bit more precise when you post.

Which utility? Do you mean the utility IBM provides for this purpose?

Why do you believe that you can use a cert other than the one that is being used on the server?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Security forum
rockz007
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I ran the utility because when I use the same file from the MQserver in the job log I was getting an error like "Password stash file not usable or available".

I was going through a lot of documents but couldn't locate any specific steps for MQ client on AS/400. Only the below link has some information

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27039387&aid=1

And As per the link I ran AMQRSSLC, after running this I no longer received the 2381 MQRC but now as I mentioned I am receiving 2393 MQRC.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Let's start at the beginning.

Are you following a step-by-step instruction document to get SSL to work? If so, what is that document? Or are you just randomly trying things to see if you can get it to work?

Precisely how did you create the key db? How did you create the certs? How did you add the certs? How did you export the cert to the other platform key db?

You wrote: "when I use the same file from the MQserver in the job log..." What file?

Again, please be precise in your posts.
rockz007
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I'm sorry for not being precise. Okay these are the steps I followed.

1) MQ is installed as a client on AS400 in our system.

2) MQ server runs on Unix, and there's a separate team for this.

3) I got key.Kdb, key.rdb files from the MQ server team. I don't know how they got it generated, they gave me the CCDT file as well .

4) I FTPed the files .Kdb,.rdb, CCDT files into /qibm/user data/mqm.

5) After this I ran the utility which I mentioned previously to generate .sth file. And when I try to make the connection it says 2393.

Finally regarding the steps, the previous link is the only thing which I could find on how to implement SSL on MQ client, I saw lotta documentation on the web for MQ server, but couldn't find any info for MQ client.

Note: without the SSL we are able to connect, send and receive messages as well.

Please let me know if I'm still missing anything and thanks for being patient
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Start reading here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q012470_.htm and

Have fun
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:

Are you following a step-by-step instruction document to get SSL to work? If so, what is that document? Or are you just randomly trying things to see if you can get it to work?.

I'm just short of becoming impatient with you for not answering questions you are asked.

SSL is complicated to configure. Any single incorrect configuration will cause a variety of errors.

Go to Google, then search for 'how to configure mq ssl on as400'. I found this: http://129.33.205.81/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.explorer.doc/e_ssl_mqclients.htm

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » SSL for MQ client on AS/400 COBOL iSeries
Jump to: