ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » setmqm not present in MQv7.5 for AIX?

setmqm not present in MQv7.5 for AIX? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: setmqm not present in MQv7.5 for AIX? Reply with quote

Partisan

We are working on upgrading MQ for AIX v7.0.1.7 to MQv7.5.0.5. We previously tried to get the app to work against MQv8.0.0.2 for AIX and that failed. So we are trying with MQV7.5.0.5 for AIX.

So on this system, we now have 3 sets of binaries; MQ for AIX v7.0.1.7 (Installation), MQ for AIX v8.0 (Installation1) and MQ for AIX v7.5 (Installation2).

The immediate question I have is, Is there supposed to be an executable /this/that/MQ/7.5/usr/mqm/bin/setmqm so that I can migrate my v7.0.1.7 queue manager to Installation 2?

To do this for MQv8, i just ran /this/that/MQ/8.0/usr/mqm/bin/setmqm -m MyQMgr -n Installation1

Quote:
[ mqm@myHost:/this/that/MQ/7.5/usr/mqm/bin ]
$ ls set*
setmqenv setmqinst

belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I read through this http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27037823&aid=1 before posting here to make sure I was not insane.

Page 36 shows trhe command I cannot run.
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

This is what I installed WEBSPHERE_MQ_FOR_AIX_V7.5_IFR2_EI.tar.tgz and ( I am 98% sure that) the exact same installp method installed it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Can you make a 7.0.1 installation anything other than the primary installation... ?

Last edited by mqjeff on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
case "$version" in
"7.5")
installp -R /this/that/MQ/7.5 -acgXYd /repos/mq/v7.5/aix/server all
lslpp -l -R ALL | grep mqm
;;
"8.0")
installp -R /this/that/MQ/8.0 -acgXYd /repos/mq/v8/aix/server all
lslpp -l -R ALL | grep mqm
;;
esac

belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff,

According to the books, no. So we are not trying to do that. As we migrate, we are just pointing to to the MQ version that should be used. At the end, we will remove 7.0.1.* and set the primary appropriately.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

With regard to what mqjeff said, the 7.0 will always be the primary installation, but that doesn't stop you migrating a queue manager in place. There's THIS in the Info Centre in regard to migration from 7.0 to 7.5, but I'm pretty sure you can't 'backwards' migrate from 8.0 to 7.5 as the migration will introduce additional objects and attributes that 7.5 wouldn't recognise. Or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Ok, sorry. I didn't remember what the setmqm command did.

I think that trying to move a queue manager from another installation into a 7.0.1 installation would mean migrating a queue manager to a lower version. So it's not clear what you would use setmqm for in 7.0.1.

Also, since 7.0.1 didn't have any notion of coexisting installs, it seems reasonably clear that it wouldn't have a setmqm.

So are you trying to move the queue manager from v7.0.1 to v8? Then use the v8 setmqm?

Are you trying to move the queue manager from v8 to v7.0.1? then delete it and recreate it.
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I will read what you said exerk but will offer this.

1) we never made v8 primary, we executed v8/setmqm on another queue manager and it failed app certification so we backed that out to v7.0

2) We then installed v7.5 because is appears to be more forgiving with how old apps are and created a copy of the qmgr in item 1 above (with new name) as a v7.0.1.7 qmgr

3) when we try to issue /this/that/MQ/7.5/usr/mqm/bin/setmqm -m Item2Qmgr there is no setmqm executable there.

4) when we try /this/that/MQ/8.0/usr/mqm/bin/setmqm -m Item2Qmgr, it throws AMQ5687: setmqm is not executing from installation 'Installation2'.
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff says

Quote:
Also, since 7.0.1 didn't have any notion of coexisting installs, it seems reasonably clear that it wouldn't have a setmqm.

Its not MQ7.0.1 that does not have the setmqm, it is 7.5. Thats why i am asea.

I said

Quote:

belchman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I am an idiot

I said

Quote:
Is there supposed to be an executable /this/that/MQ/7.5/usr/mqm/bin/setmqm so that I can migrate my v7.0.1.7 queue manager to Installation 2?

mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

see the usage notes

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc/q083580_.htm

If you're not actually finding a setmqm binary under the 7.5 install you have, then something is not right with the install.
Philip Morten
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Are you sure that you have installed the 7.5 server fileset, do you have the other server commands ( e.g crtmqm, strmqm)?

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

The issue was resolved by uninstalling MQV7.5, deleting the installables, reextracting the installables from the tar zip and reinstalling.

I suspect one or more of the install bundles were hosed.

Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » setmqm not present in MQv7.5 for AIX?
Jump to: