ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » RANT: Least favorite defaults (initial values)

RANT: Least favorite defaults (initial values) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: RANT: Least favorite defaults (initial values) Reply with quote

Poobah

What are your least favorite MQ from-the-factory defaults (initial values)? What should they be? Why?

My least favorite are the _AS_Q_DEF kind. These allow sysadmins to override or undo what should have been set-in-concrete in the application code - message persistence, for example. These make problem-determination a pain.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

How about queue manager creation defaults like log file size ?
I understand that until the mid 80s disk might have been considered an expensive storage but in these days of post modern ages, disk is cheap.
So why keep the low low setup ??
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

the AS_Q_DEF values are mostly harmless. I guess the PERCISTENCE One causes most angst.
When I'm in my role as an MQ Developer I always make sure that I set the persistence of any message I write like the CCSID and in most cases the EXPIRY.

In my role as an MQ Architect/Admin/General Dogsbody, I have lost count of the number of times that sloppy programming (or just plain ignorance) has been the root cause of issued down the line. The CCSID is a prime candidate here.

My main gripes are at the QMGR level. IMHO the DLQ should not begin with SYSTEM. Plus understanding the reason codes for messages being put on a DLQ should he easier to obtain.

Generally a better understanding of the role the SYSTEM.DEFAULT.* Objects would really help a lot of so called MQ Admins.

Finally, isn't it about time that IBM defaulted to 1208 for any queue manager that is created on a distributed system? Having the defalt CCSID different on Windows and Unix platforms can be an real problem to find for those who have not encountered it before.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
Generally a better understanding of the role the SYSTEM.DEFAULT.* Objects would really help a lot of so called MQ Admins.

The name alone adds to the confusion. They are not really defaults. As an example, if the app MQOPENs a queue named 'fred' but the real queue name is FRED (upper-case), a novice might assume incorrectly that the SYSTEM.DEFAULT.LOCAL.QUEUE would be the 'default' destination for messages - definitely not the case.

IBM should have named them SYSTEM.TEMPLATE.* as these are used as templates to supply missing attribute values when creating a new object.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

One could argue the defaults should all be set to the smallest value possible, to force the MQ Admin to make a decision and not assume anything.

While I would be in favor of seeing Persistence As Queue Default going away, at the same time I want Expiry As Queue Default to be implemented.

I use SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE for all my QMs. There is nothing magical about that queue, it is not used as a template for the creation of any other queues, and its logical to me that the System's Dead Letter Queue is called SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE. Its a system queue. But if others think there is something to be gained by calling them DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE, or <QMname>.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE, what's the harm in that.

Log Buffer Pages is long over due for a higher default as well as a higher max.

Without specific and precise rules to govern how large a log file should be made, IBM should just remove the option, make log files one size and one size only based on their special secret knowledge on what the best size is, and then just leave it up to us as to how many we want.

The Description field is horribly inadequately sized. Life would be easier if we could put a lot more info in there, or if queues were allowed to have metadata attached to them.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
I use SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE for all my QMs. There is nothing magical about that queue, it is not used as a template for the creation of any other queues, and its logical to me that the System's Dead Letter Queue is called SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE. Its a system queue. But if others think there is something to be gained by calling them DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE, or <QMname>.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE, what's the harm in that.

I'd like to see that particular queue used for 'system-related' stuff only, in the same manner as event queues etc.
tczielke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RANT: Least favorite defaults (initial values) Reply with quote

Guardian

bruce2359 wrote:
My least favorite are the _AS_Q_DEF kind. These allow sysadmins to override or undo what should have been set-in-concrete in the application code - message persistence, for example. These make problem-determination a pain.

Another thing that is confusing on this topic is to have constants like MQPMO_RESPONSE_AS_Q_DEF that resolve to x'00000000'. The PMO is basically a 32 bit mask. To say you are explicitly setting something like MQPMO_RESPONSE_AS_Q_DEF in your application, but then not have that constant resolve to a specific bit in the bit mask is confusing.

In reality, it looks like MQPMO_RESPONSE_AS_Q_DEF is in effect when both the MQPMO_SYNC_RESPONSE and MQPMO_ASYNC_RESPONSE bits are not set in the PMO bit mask. So it really has nothing to do with MQPMO_RESPONSE_AS_Q_DEF, but the two "live" constants that actually map to bits in the bit mask.

To me, it would be more clear and straightforward if every constant that you can set in the bit mask would map to a specific bit in the bit mask.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The last default value that really torqued my nerves is MAXMSGL.

I'm really unhappy with it being set to 4k. Even 10k would be better. Basic storage size has grown enough that 4k is a too pessimistic limit.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:
...I'm really unhappy with it being set to 4k. Even 10k would be better...

You do, of course, mean MB
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

mqjeff wrote:
The last default value that really torqued my nerves is MAXMSGL.

I'm really unhappy with it being set to 4k. Even 10k would be better. Basic storage size has grown enough that 4k is a too pessimistic limit.

I've been using MQ for almost 16 years. In that time, I have never had to actually deal with messages that are greater than 1Mb. In old WBIMB Days we had to increase the message size to more than 4Mb because of the way the Config Mgr worked but now? No problemo

Maybe I'm lucky but This particular default is one of the ones I worry about the least. Sure there are sites that want to use multi Gb messages over HTTP. These should be taken out the back and done away with (humanely of course).

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

exerk wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

110, 111... whatever it takes.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqjeff wrote:
exerk wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

110, 111... whatever it takes.

Message size creep can be disastrous. 4MB is fine if your prod messages are 3MB, but over time they can slowly increase without being noticed. When they exceed 4MB for the first time all hell can break loose in a frantic effort to increase max lengths all over the place and replay the messages. Been there, done that. Significant cost to the business. We are now moving towards setting 100MB max length on all prod channels and critical queues. It exposes MQ to possibly very large messages, but its better than messaging interfaces failing because some arbitrarily low limit was exceeded.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

gbaddeley wrote:
Message size creep can be disastrous. 4MB is fine if your prod messages are 3MB, but over time they can slowly increase without being noticed. When they exceed 4MB for the first time all hell can break loose in a frantic effort to increase max lengths all over the place and replay the messages. Been there, done that. Significant cost to the business. We are now moving towards setting 100MB max length on all prod channels and critical queues. It exposes MQ to possibly very large messages, but its better than messaging interfaces failing because some arbitrarily low limit was exceeded.

This.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » RANT: Least favorite defaults (initial values)
Jump to: