ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » MQ 8.0.0.2 support with MQ client jar version 5.3

MQ 8.0.0.2 support with MQ client jar version 5.3 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pandeg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: MQ 8.0.0.2 support with MQ client jar version 5.3 Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi, we used MQ jar implementation/specification version 5.300 in our JMS client application to remote connect to MQ 7.0 and which is now upgraded to 8.0.0.2. Since, we are still able to connect to version 8.0.0.2 , is it a good idea to keep the same old version of jar in client application or we should update the MQ jar to latest version.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: MQ 8.0.0.2 support with MQ client jar version 5.3 Reply with quote

Grand Master

pandeg wrote:
update the MQ jar to latest version.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You will be missing functionality and more importantly password encryption if you do not upgrade to the latest version...
pandeg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks for your reply.

But how do I know whether i need password encryption feature in my application. Also, we have not used SSL here , since MQ is configured in Trusted Zone.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

At least update to a supported version, even if not the latest.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pandeg wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

But how do I know whether i need password encryption feature in my application. Also, we have not used SSL here , since MQ is configured in Trusted Zone.

You need it because MQ8 Server requires a username password from a client connection... No need for SSL the new libs will encrypt the password for you...

smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

fjb_saper wrote:

You need it because MQ8 Server requires a username password from a client connection.

Shouldn't that be something like....

You need it because MQ8 Server MAY BE CONFIGURED TO require a username password from a client connection.

If you are upgrading from a V7 Queue Manager UserName/Password authentication is probably disabled.[1]

If you do wish to use Username/Password Auth then you will need an MQ V8 client but introducing this functionality may require changes to the client applications.

[1] I upgraded a 7.0.1.8 Queue Manager yesterday to 8.0.0.2 and this was the case. (Windows Server 2008-R2)

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:

If you do wish to use Username/Password Auth then you will need an MQ V8 client but introducing this functionality may require changes to the client applications.

[1] I upgraded a 7.0.1.8 Queue Manager yesterday to 8.0.0.2 and this was the case. (Windows Server 2008-R2)

That is because the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1, 7.5 or 8.0 does not turn on chlauth and connauth attribute of the qmgr is blank too.

However one of the reasons for upgrading is to take advantage of the new features. No need to change the application, the mqccred exit can handle user name and password for you... And by the way no need for a V8 client if you want to use username/Password auth, you only need the V8 client if you want the password encrypted by default. Otherwise you might need to use SSL on top.
pandeg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks for the information. But here , we are using client application which will be deployed on Cloud and connects to MQ server 8.0 , will this Username/Password encryption feature is good enough to provide security feature or I need additional SSL implementation on top of it for channel level security. As of now , we have used message level encryption in existing setup.

Last edited by pandeg on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

SSL protects the contents of your messages between the client and the server.

authentication by username/password ensures that only the allowed users can connect.

authorization against username/password ensures that authenticated users can only do the things they should be able to do.
pandeg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

We are using below jar(version 5.3) in MQ client application

com.ibm.mq.jar
com.ibm.mqbind.jar
com.ibm.mqjms.jar

and Manifest version is as below :
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Name: com/ibm/mq/
Sealed: false
Implementation-Version: "5.300 - j530-L021008"
Specification-Title: "WebSphere MQ classes for Java"
Specification-Version: "5.300"
Implementation-Title: "WebSphere MQ classes for Java"
Created-By: 1.3.0 (IBM Corporation)
Class-Path: com.ibm.mq.jar
Implementation-Vendor: "IBM Corporation"
Specification-Vendor: "IBM Corporation"

and I downloaded vers 8.0 jar which are under following location in MQ 8.0 jar folder "\8.0.0.1-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All\wmq\JavaEE\wmq.jmsra"

com.ibm.mq.connector.jar
com.ibm.mq.headers.jar
com.ibm.mq.jar
com.ibm.mq.jmqi.jar
com.ibm.mqjms.jar
com.ibm.mq.pcf.jar

There are other folders too namely , JavaEE , JavaSE and OSGI under "8.0.0.1-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All\wmq"and these contains several other different jars , but i don't know whether all are of use or I need to just replace matching jar for version 5.3 with version 8.0[/img]
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

for 8.0.0.2 there is a specific java kit.

8.0.0.2-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All

You should be using that and obly that. don't try to replace individual jar files. If you do you could be in for an awful lot of pain due to class mismatches etc.
I'd install that kit into a new location, update my classpath etc and go from there.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
pandeg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks !

What is the minimum java version required to compile these MQ 8.0.0.2 client jars.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

pandeg wrote:
What is the minimum java version required to compile these MQ 8.0.0.2 client jars.

You don't compile these jar files. They are already compiled.

MQ v8 does not support any level of Java below 7.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The only thing I would say is that MQ v8 does impose some restrictions on the supported ciphers.

This may be inevitable long-term, but in the short-term it may cause problems that using MQ 7.5.0.4 would not.

This is partly due to the use of Java 7 by MQ v8.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » MQ 8.0.0.2 support with MQ client jar version 5.3
Jump to: