ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQIPT

MQIPT « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rammer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: MQIPT Reply with quote

Partisan

Afternoon All,

Please bear with me on my ramble below and maybe misunderstandings or dumb questions.

Ive just started looking at MQIPT and trying to get an understanding of it. The scenario that has been passed to me to look into is the following

MQ Server > | MQIPT | > |MQIPT| > MQ Server on receiving side

so we will send from left to right

The above looks to be a pretty standard model looking in the user guides and on the MQ Info Centre.

What is being asked is if we can put Two MQIPT Servers in within our DMZ and not to act as a resliant server on its own but to allow our MQ Server to send data to them both ie round robin / load balancing etc.

I cant currently figure out how we can achieve that without using a loadbalancer between our MQ Server and the MQIPT Servers.

Using MQ 7.1 etc we can use failover IP's in the channels but that doesn't give load balancing for the outgoing connections just the ability for resilience (if we put the same config on both MQIPT Servers.

Currently we use the model described in the manual MQ > | MQIPT | MQIPT | MQ ie just one MQ IPT Server, the purpose of this question was to see if there is a easy way of putting another IPT Server alongside the current one for load balancing.

Sorry for the long winded question.

Thanks in advance
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I can easily see the fail-over scenario. I can't see very much the load balancing scenario. Do you have a lot of traffic? why not split into 2 channels and set the primary MQIPT for each channel to a different one. That would give you some load balancing...

Is MQIPT not able to handle the full load of the channel? What makes you even suspect it is MQIPT and not some problem in your network?
rammer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

fjb_saper wrote:
I can easily see the fail-over scenario. I can't see very much the load balancing scenario. Do you have a lot of traffic? why not split into 2 channels and set the primary MQIPT for each channel to a different one. That would give you some load balancing...

Is MQIPT not able to handle the full load of the channel? What makes you even suspect it is MQIPT and not some problem in your network?

Hi,

There isnt a problem. This is a solution we will be taking over from a client and part of it is that they asked to see if we can put another IPT server in alongside and load balance outgoing data. I do not believe there is a perceived performance issue at all, its just a "this would be nice to have".

I had thought of splitting the outgoing data across the two servers. Example lets say I had 10 clients, 5 would go to one and 5 to the other one. We would put all 10 configs on each IPT Server and use failover IP's in the MQ Channels to allow it to automatically switch over to the other IPT in case an issue arose, but it wouldnt be true load balancing but it would work, especially if we put some monitoring in place that told us what channels are on which IPT Server and when they fail over etc.

The only way I can see to do loadbalancing is at a hardware level and to use a load balancer as per the MQ knowledge document.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Create 2 VIPs.

One that aims primarily at MQIPT server #1, with MQIPT server #2 as a backup if #1 is N/A.
The other one that aims primarily at MQIPT server #2, with MQIPT server #1 as a backup if #2 is N/A.

Size both servers to handle 100% of the workload.

Distribute the VIPs accordingly to achieve as relatively close to 50/50 workload as you can.

We have done something something similar in the past with MQIPT. It works.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQIPT
Jump to: