ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Tracking broker administrative changes

Tracking broker administrative changes « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sclarke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Tracking broker administrative changes Reply with quote

Apprentice

WMB8 - is there a way in WMB to track that mqsichangeproperty, mqchangeconfigurableservice etc has been run and what the value was changed to? I don't see a way to generate an event from running those commands. What best practices do other admins use to keep track of broker configuration changes on a asset by asset basis... For example - if I changed the maxheapsize on an Execution group, when and potentially the value. I realize you can run mqsireportproperties etc but would like to be more proactive on capturing/auditing changes

thanks. Any differences with IIB9/10?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tracking broker administrative changes Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sclarke wrote:
What best practices do other admins use to keep track of broker configuration changes on a asset by asset basis...

We script such changes and embed them in a change control process, and protect the WMB service id (which is the only id allowed to make such changes) with sudo. AFAIK there's no way to obtain any auditing from WMB itself.

sclarke wrote:
Any differences with IIB9/10?

Not that I'm aware of.
sclarke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Does your change control process include source control of the commands that you ran or the scripts output the commands into non-controlled files which can be viewed later?

Thanks! Curious what other companies do?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

One can have the world's best change control process, but it still good to be able to independently get notified of changes (think Configuration Events in MQ) or be able to easily audit the environment and compare settings and configurations across multiple Brokers that are supposed to be the same.

A robust tool that can gather configuration settings and store them could also be used to identify what changed when. I think there is a gap in the marketplace in this space. I surprised there is nothing in this space yet. DataPower has the same gap.

Yes, I know WMB/IIB exposes an interface (CMP API) to be able to do this all yourself, but to do that right and make it pretty and user friendly is a big effort, at the bottom of a looooong To Do list for me.

My RFE to have IBM beef up MBX or Web Management Interface to allow us to compare Brokers:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=55244

Please vote if you think its a good idea.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

When you look at the "admin queue" from message broker explorer - you can see the recent admin commands. Where does that info come from?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sclarke wrote:
Does your change control process include source control of the commands that you ran or the scripts output the commands into non-controlled files which can be viewed later?

Yes to both. We've modified the deployment process (which deploys bar files to IIB and EAR files to the Java magic) to run the scripts so to get them working they have to be added to source control (which is where the deployment process expects everything to be) and the results are logged in the same way the results of a deployment are logged.
sclarke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We have a pretty good deployment process. My question/issue is tracking the physical changes made to the broker properties
mqsichangeproperties
mqsicreateconfigurableservice
etc

I just voted on Peter's request. Any other best practices out there?

Good discussion....
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sclarke wrote:
We have a pretty good deployment process. My question/issue is tracking the physical changes made to the broker properties
mqsichangeproperties
mqsicreateconfigurableservice
etc

I know that, and it's exactly those changes I was talking about. Mostly new configurable services for flows with nodes that require them.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Tracking broker administrative changes
Jump to: