ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » Automatic Backup for Datapower

Automatic Backup for Datapower « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Inisah
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Automatic Backup for Datapower Reply with quote

Apprentice

Heloo evryone,

Can one of you help me with the procedure to take automatic backup for the entire configuration and ftp to a server in datapower?

I checked for documentation. It is mainly on Secure backups.Please help.
rammer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi we currently do a secure backup weekly the ouput is to a local directory. We then have a external task that runs some xml to connect to the datapower and copy over the file.
Inisah
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi
Thanks for your inputs. Could you please let me know what is the external task?

Also is the secure backup automated. If so how?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I did this by writing a ksh script that executes on a Linux server. The script makes ssh calls to the Command Line Interface of an appliance and executes either a secure backup or regular backup (export) based on how the script was called.

Our company's job scheduler kicks of the script for each appliance in our environment on the schedule I put together. If the job doesn't run, or fails to run to successful completion, the job scheduler alerts us.

The script copies the backup file(s) off the appliance and place them on secure NFS mount before deleting the files. We keep the last 10 backups for each appliance. The script records each step it takes with a time stamp in a logfile, and that logfile is stored with its corresponding backup files.

I think its odd the DataPower customers have to go through all this. There should be a facility built into DataPower that makes backing up the appliance easy, which includes getting the files securely of the appliance. I'm surprised that IBM's W.A.M.C. doesn't include this feature.
rammer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi

The devices that we have are XB62's and there are two backup options 1) is normal backup but this doesnt backup Certificates etc which we have a job similar to what Peter describes or there is a DR backup that allows you to back up the whole device including certificates.

now I dont work on these full time but looking at the the cron job we have on linux it makes a connection to the XB62 and runs this xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
<env:Body>
<dp:request xmlns:dp="http://www.datapower.com/schemas/management" domain="default">
<dp:do-action>
<SecureBackup>
<cert>ldap_crypto_certificate</cert>
<destination>local:///ondisk/DRBackup</destination>
<include-iscsi>on</include-iscsi>
<include-raid>on</include-raid>
</SecureBackup>
</dp:do-action>
</dp:request>
</env:Body>

This saves it to the temp directory on the device, there is then another job that runs to copy it off the device onto the Linux server. As part of the copying over it appears to use a certificate for validation.

As mentioned im not to familiar on how this works but it does work as we have used it when we have done upgrades on devices etc.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » Automatic Backup for Datapower
Jump to: