ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Channel Definition Table AMQCLCHL.TAB

Channel Definition Table AMQCLCHL.TAB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
yasaboy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Channel Definition Table AMQCLCHL.TAB Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi,

We have been using MQCONNX for connecting to Queue Managers upto now in our wrapper Lib.

Now we need to enable SSL and AMS inside our library. So we suppose of using the method AMQCLCHL.TAB to remote connect to Queue Manages while enabling SSL.

So as far as I understood when using client channel definition table we need to use MQCONN since the channel and connection parameters are read from AMQCLCHL.TAB file

So if there is no keystore defined and all can we still use the channel definition table to connect to the Queueus.

For example, I have done

Code:
DEFINE LISTENER('LISTENER.SSL') TRPTYPE(TCP) PORT(12345) CONTROL(QMGR)

DEFINE QLOCAL(TEST.INQUEUE1) REPLACE +
PUT(ENABLED) GET(ENABLED)

DEFINE CHANNEL(SSL.CLIENTS) chltype(SVRCONN) TRPTYPE(TCP)

DEFINE CHANNEL(SSL.CLIENTS) CHLTYPE(CLNTCONN) CONNAME('172.xx.xx.xx(12345)') QMNAME(SAM.TEST.SSL)

START LISTENER('LISTENER.SSL')

copied the respected AMQCLCHL.TAB file to client mechine and set environmental varibles

Code:
export MQCHLLIB=/abc/xxx
export MQCHLTAB=AMQCLCHL.TAB

but didnot set folllwing

Code:
export MQSSLKEYR=

Why cant I connect in this scenario using MQCONN ? it gives error 2393 ?

Why ?
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I would suggest you don't name queues or listeners with SSL since it can only confuse the matter.

Both the svrconn and clntconn definition must contain a suitable (and matching) cipherspec for SSL to work.

This is what enables SSL on a client channel.

You will need a key/truststore to validate the QM's certificate (you will need a cert of course). The MQSSLKEYR variable refers to that (not including the file suffix) and you will need to create a keystore of the CMS type for both the QM and the client application.

I am sure all this stuff is documented by IBM.

If you are going beyond SSL channels, to full message encyption - will this be as well as SSL channels or instead of?
yasaboy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

zpat wrote:
I would suggest you don't name queues or listeners with SSL since it can only confuse the matter.

Both the svrconn and clntconn definition must contain a suitable (and matching) cipherspec for SSL to work.

This is what enables SSL on a client channel.

You will need a key/truststore to validate the QM's certificate (you will need a cert of course). The MQSSLKEYR variable refers to that (not including the file suffix) and you will need to create a keystore of the CMS type for both the QM and the client application.

I am sure all this stuff is documented by IBM.

If you are going beyond SSL channels, to full message encyption - will this be as well as SSL channels or instead of?

Hi,

I am quite aware of that and have implemented and tested it already using amqsputc as described in http://usuaris.tinet.cat/sag/mq_ssl.htm.

But what I want to know is,

whether it is possible to use the channel definition table to connect to queues by using the AMQCLCHL.TAB file and MQCONN command when ssl is not enabled ?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

yasaboy wrote:

whether it is possible to use the channel definition table to connect to queues by using the AMQCLCHL.TAB file and MQCONN command when ssl is not enabled ?

There is nothing stopping you from defining channels that don't have any SSL config (i.e. the default). Then all you need to do is select the correct channel to use

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Naturally it can be used without SSL.

But a given channel name has to be either non-SSL or SSL, with the corresponding entry in the CCDT.

We keep two CCDTs, one directs the app to SSL channels, and one directs them to non-SSL channels.

To make this simpler, we use the MO72 support pac to maintain the CCDTs, instead of the horrible standard method.

Please don't use SSL as part of any MQ object name (other then perhaps a SSL enabled channel), as it only serves to confuse.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

yasaboy wrote:

Yes, because that's what a CCDT is intended for, but bearing in mind that SSL is 'enabled' within a channel pairing by populating the appropriate attribute with a valid cipher spec. What do your queue manager error logs state? What do your Client error logs state? If using your 'wrapper lib' to instantiate connection, does it try to instantiate an SSL connection?

Did you actually post all your definition attributes below, or did you make changes afterward, e.g. adding a cipher spec to the SVRCONN?
yasaboy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

exerk wrote:
yasaboy wrote:

Yes, because that's what a CCDT is intended for, but bearing in mind that SSL is 'enabled' within a channel pairing by populating the appropriate attribute with a valid cipher spec. What do your queue manager error logs state? What do your Client error logs state? If using your 'wrapper lib' to instantiate connection, does it try to instantiate an SSL connection?

Did you actually post all your definition attributes below, or did you make changes afterward, e.g. adding a cipher spec to the SVRCONN?

Thanks for your reply. I could configure my Queue Manager in both SSL enabled and SSL disabled modes using the AMQCLCHL.TAB file. Now I can replace my MQCONNX to MQCONN in both SSL enabled and SSL disabled modes.

But now another problem rises.

Suppose I have ClientA. He uses channel1 to connect to INQ1 and channel2 to connect to INQ2. Both INQ1 and INQ2 are in same Queue manager TEST.QM1.

Suppose at a particular instance I want to connect to INQ2. So how can a .TAB file be used to select the correct channel which is channel2 at that particular instance ? Is it possible ?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

yasaboy wrote:
So how can a .TAB file be used to select the correct channel which is channel2 at that particular instance ? Is it possible ?

The .TAB file doesn't select; rather, it offers choices of qmgrs and channels for the application to MQCONNect to, based on if, and how, the qmgr is named in the application, such as:

MQCONN "qmgr-name"
MQCONN "*qmname"
MQCONN " "

Please take a few moments to read Introduction to MQ Clients presentation here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDYQFjAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshare.confex.com%2Fshare%2F116%2Fwebprogram%2FHandout%2FSession8718%2FMQClients.pdf&ei=mxZNVMnhN6j2iQK7n4CACQ&usg=AFQjCNHBoMNqEBq15HFpxV71Wo788iYIiw&sig2=zqfjFyBbYhxl4GHDCDxW3A&bvm=bv.77880786,d.cGE&cad=rja
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

yasaboy wrote:
Suppose I have ClientA. He uses channel1 to connect to INQ1 and channel2 to connect to INQ2. Both INQ1 and INQ2 are in same Queue manager TEST.QM1.

If INQ1 and INQ2 are queue (a reasonable assumption I feel), what does it matter that ClientA uses a particular channel to get to them? You're just giving your application a choice of channels - for what purpose though? Or am I reading your post wrong?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Yasaboy,

It's not possible to ask MQ to select a different channel from the CCDT based on the queue you are going to open. This is not possible, for the most part, because of the order of the MQI calls. You connect to MQ (using say MQCONNX) and only after that has returned do you issue MQOPEN. So, the only way MQ would know which channel to use is if you gave it some hint on the MQCONNX verb. Well, the 'hint' you can give is the Queue Manager name on the MQXCONNX verb.

If you were adamant that you just want to 'hint' at what you are doing rather than select a channel name you could write a PreConnect exit. Then you could, for example, issue MQCONNX("INQ1") or MQCONNX("INQ2"). The PreConnect exit would know which channel to use for the 'service' it was being asked for. Of course the exit could also be more dynamic and change the result based on time of day, server availability and workload or any other factor you deem relavent.

Cheers,
Paul.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Channel Definition Table AMQCLCHL.TAB
Jump to: