ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTPRequest node: BIP3161 socket exception

HTTPRequest node: BIP3161 socket exception « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sanjoo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: HTTPRequest node: BIP3161 socket exception Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi All,
We are using HTTPRequest node to invoke a webservice. In production when we deployed this for the first time, we are getting below exception logged-

HTTP Request::Function:ImbWSRequest::readDataFromSocket::An error occurred whilst performing a TCP/IP socket operation. The socket was closed before all expected data was received, as the end of the HTTP headers have not been found. Total data received: 0.::0"

In all lower environments, it worked beautifully. I have verified from the admin that network settings on lower env and prod are largely similar.
I tried reading documentation on BIP3161. Its not giving any clue on where this might be network issue or application issue.
Another question I have is whether this socket exception is happening in the request path or response path.

BTW, we are at WMB 7 FP 7 on AIX.

Thanks in advance.

Keep smiling
nelson
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: HTTPRequest node: BIP3161 socket exception Reply with quote

Partisan

sanjoo

This case is very similiar to yours.

Kind regards.
sanjoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi, I did went through that post and I didn't find it conclusive for the root cause.
Timeout for web service is 15 seconds but within 50 ms I get this socket exception saying "BIP3161S: A socket was closed before all expected data was received. Total data received: 0. "
So I don't think it's about not having enough time to receive data.

Anyway, network admin is looking into it now. I will update once I find anything.

In the meantime, if you have any helpful inputs, please do share.

Thanks

Keep smiling
sanjoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi,
The documentation for BIP3161 says ->
BIP3161
A socket was closed before all expected data was received. Total data received: <insert_1>.
Severity
30 : Severe error
Explanation
An error occurred whilst performing a TCP/IP socket operation. The socket was closed before all expected data was received, as the end of the HTTP headers have not been found. Ensure that the HTTP data is valid.

===========
Could this be data issue that application is sending?

Keep smiling
Hoshi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hello, Sanjoo,

Were you able to identify the root cause for the error above?
We are facing a similar situation. We have a simple message flow performing requests to an HTTPS endpoint. The flow is under reasonably high load processing several messages per second. For majority of messages (>99%) everything works fine, but once in a few minutes we get the same error as yours:

Code:
An error occurred whilst performing a TCP/IP socket operation. The socket was closed before all expected data was received, as the end of the HTTP headers have not been found. Total data received: &1.(0)

We are also running WMB 7.0.0.7 on AIX.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

You do know that WMB 7 went out of service/support last September?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Hoshi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Yes, I do. But thanks for the reminder!
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Make sure you know what the message tree you are passing to the request node looks like.
Hoshi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

It looks like we were able to figure out what was causing the error in our case.
The HTTPRequest node in our flow is configured to use persistent connections with HTTP 1.1 keep-alive over TLS protocol. The maxSocketAge attribute on broker's ComIbmSocketConnectionManager was set to default value of 4 seconds. On the other hand the server was configured to close idle connections after 1 second timeout.

So due to the amount of requests the flow was processing it was not too uncommon that broker would try to send a new request through an open connection exactly 1 second after previous successful request. And in some cases it would happen so that right at the same time the server would send a TLS close_notify event (before the actual TCP FIN packet) due to connection being idle. The broker would then try to parse this close notification as a valid HTTP response and failing to do so would raise the above exception.

Changing overall configuration so that maxSocketAge at the broker side is less than the server idle connection timeout seemed to have resolved the issue.
vinod28885
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Need help on this issue Reply with quote

Hi Hoshi,

I am also facing this issue in my case. In your answer you have mentioned that the server idle timeout is 1 second. Which server you are using ? Can this timeout be imposed by a firewall too ?

BTW I am interacting with a Web Serivce using WMB HttpRequestNode.

Regards
Vinod
Hoshi
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi vinod,

I don't really have information about the server software since it's a 3rd party. And for the second question - I'm pretty certain a firewall can close idle connections too.

Anyway the best thing you can do to analyze the problem is capture, decrypt (in case of SSL) and analyze the traffic between Broker and Web Server during the moment the problem occurs.
vinod28885
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hoshi,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to know how you were able to find out the time out value of target server as 1 second.
Where is the time out set ? in TCP layer / server layer ?

Regards
Vinod
Hoshi
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

It's a Web Server configuration for persistent (keep-alive) connections. We didn't have to find it out in our case, since server admins just told us what they configured.
vinod28885
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hoshi.

1 last question

Whats the final value you set in WMB and server side to resolve the issue ?

Regards
Vinod
Hoshi
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

We've set 1 second on the Broker side and 2 seconds on the Web Server side.
Although I strongly suggest you capture and analyze the traffic in your environment, since I believe there may be many different factors to cause the error in discussion.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTPRequest node: BIP3161 socket exception
Jump to: