ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Port

Port « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Dave Ziegler
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

mgk wrote:

If you don't want this behaviour, you can either specify a specific "fixed" port per EG, that will cause the EG start to fail if it's not available

Is this the command being referenced here?

Code:

mqsichangeproperties IB9NODE -e exgroup1 -o HTTPSConnector  -n explicitlySetPortNumber -v 7777
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

That's the one. Note you have the choice between HTTPConnector and HTTPSConnector to set respectively the HTTP and HTTPS ports.
Dave Ziegler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Can someone explain to me what use case dynamic port assignment addresses? If I stand up an Integration Service (SOAP service) and it is hosted at http://localhost:7800/MyService by default, and then [whatever] happens and a broker restart changes this to 7801 because 7800 has been hijacked... what happens to all my flows or applications depending on this service being hosted at the original URL, won't they fail to locate the SOAP service? Is there some sort of dynamic service discovery that can be implemented that I'm not considering?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

In all the systems where we have used SOAP in more than one Execution Group then we explicitly set the SOAP PORT for that EG.
The hijacking you mention could be that EG1 starts faster than EG0 and nicks port 7800 from EG0. Explicitly set the port and this can be forgotten.

All it takes is one line in your Create EG script.

my template Create Broker scripts automatically sets a port for HTTP and HTTPS on each EG as it is created even if no SOAP flows are going to be deployed. It costs nothing be a couple of seconds when creating an EG.
Cheap at half the price.

Slap on wrist for using EG's and Broker. I'm afraid that this old dog will use them rather than the IIB NewSpeak mumblywhatsitcalledtoday language.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
orman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

mgk wrote:
Quote:
Is that right?

The default for the SOAP nodes is to use the Execution Group listener. This means that each EG will get it's own port from the port range. All SOAP Input nodes in the same flow will use the port for that EG, and the port belongs to the EG, not any particular flow.

mgk wrote:

Summary:

Code:
           Default     Can Use
SOAPInput  Per-EG      Per-Broker
HTTPInput  Per-Broker  Per-EG

I hope that helps a little.

Kind regards,

Those are the defaults, as it quoted here.
You can change it with the soapNodesUseEmbeddedListener and httpNodesUseEmbeddedListener commands to make node to listen the embedded (EG) HTTP listener or to the broker-wide HTTP listener

For more information you can read on info-center or here:
https://esbteamil.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/working-with-soaphttp-node-in-broker/
Dave Ziegler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

I understand the defaults, and I understand the information MGK posted. The question is: Can someone explain to me what use case dynamic port assignment addresses?

I just want to make sure I understand the default behavior before I go changing things. At present, I don't know why it would be desirable for the ports to change automagically on my SOAP endpoints.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Dave Ziegler wrote:
I understand the defaults, and I understand the information MGK posted. The question is: Can someone explain to me what use case dynamic port assignment addresses?

I just want to make sure I understand the default behavior before I go changing things. At present, I don't know why it would be desirable for the ports to change automagically on my SOAP endpoints.

It's not terribly clear to me either. I ssupect it's fundamentally a property of the underlying engine, and that the underlying engine was built that way to make it easier to drop in and run without complex config of the network layer before hand.

And enabled so that multiple EGs would start up without actually stepping on each other.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

It's not terribly clear to me either. I ssupect it's fundamentally a property of the underlying engine, and that the underlying engine was built that way to make it easier to drop in and run without complex config of the network layer before hand.

And enabled so that multiple EGs would start up without actually stepping on each other.

And the point of the ports becoming "sticky" after having been used was to ease admin?.
Like most old-timers I like to make the ports predictable. Which means setting them explicitly. This will guarantee that if a port gets hijacked I have to find the offender and fix the situation before the broker works correctly again..., but I expect those problems to shake out in test/qa.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Applications need predictable port numbers - so fix them.

What I then do is set the dynamic range to start from just above the last port number that I fixed.

Then if another EG grabs a port - it will be immediately above my fixed set - when I notice this, I will fix it at the same value, then raise the dynamic range to start one higher.

Allocating a fixed port to each EG, regardless of whether they plan to use it is, I suppose a better practice - but I prefer to keep all ports unique over the entire estate, which sort of reduces the numbers available.
mgk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

The reason for a dynamic range is that you can give your range to a load balancer that sits in front of WMB/IIB and sprays the work across a set of identical EGs (servers). For this scenario, unless you have affinity you do not care which request goes to which EG. Of course this scenario does not work for everyone, but we could not address this easily without the dynamic range of ports as you can easily add or remove EGs without having to change the load balancer's configuration. The reason we have "sticky" ports as well as "fixed ports" in addition to the dynamic range is to address a broader range of scenarios.

Kind regards,
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

That load-balancer scenario doesn't really make sense in IMHO.

The last thing you want is to start sending BigIP requests to an unrelated EG that just so happens to have deployed a http or soap node without a fixed port.

It would be a (massive production) accident waiting to happen. Only really acceptable if dedicating a broker to one application.
mgk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Of course the unrelated EG scenario would be a bad idea, but if you want to "auto scale" by simply adding (or stopping) identical EG's then it works very well. YMMV

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Port
Jump to: