ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » I am trying for some automation script

I am trying for some automation script « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

So, you have a short-term remedy. How many months or years are you going to have to pay attention to emails about this queue? Isn't there more important work you could or should be doing? Do you get paid overtime if this happens after your normal work day?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Good lord what's all the blowback about getting an email when a queue hits a certain depth? Its perfectly reasonable. As is getting a repeating nag email every so often so you don't forget.

Only the OP can decide what the appropriate depth is for the alert (nothing wrong with 100).
Only the OP can decide what the appropriate alert mechanism is (nothing wrong with email).
Only the OP can decide what the appropriate nag frequency is for the alert (15 minutes may be exactly what he needs due to short term memory issues). Although anything that repeats that often probably needs to be changed into a more proactive alert mechanism like a page. But you can change the email address to a text enabled pager and the script is still "just sending an email".

Is it likely he reinvented this wheel because his shop already has a monitoring solution that could have easily done it? Yeah. Push back on that fact, not that he gets an email when the depth hits 100.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
Good lord what's all the blowback about getting an email when a queue hits a certain depth? Its perfectly reasonable. As is getting a repeating nag email every so often so you don't forget.

Only the OP can decide what the appropriate depth is for the alert (nothing wrong with 100).
Only the OP can decide what the appropriate alert mechanism is (nothing wrong with email).
Only the OP can decide what the appropriate nag frequency is for the alert (15 minutes may be exactly what he needs due to short term memory issues). Although anything that repeats that often probably needs to be changed into a more proactive alert mechanism like a page. But you can change the email address to a text enabled pager and the script is still "just sending an email".

Is it likely he reinvented this wheel because his shop already has a monitoring solution that could have easily done it? Yeah. Push back on that fact, not that he gets an email when the depth hits 100.

I have no beef with the OP but I do have a beef with any work-place culture that drives people into such corners as he/she has been - all my sympathies are with him/her because I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. Very optimistic of me that maybe his/her management would listen, but hey, the flame of eternal hope burns bright...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I'd suggest that the OP include his/her manager as a recipient of the email each time this little event takes place. At 15 minute intervals, that's 4/hr, 96/day.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
I'd suggest that the OP include his/her manager as a recipient of the email each time this little event takes place. At 15 minute intervals, that's 4/hr, 96/day.

Yes, sometimes managers need/want to be copied on email notifications when an MQ queue's q depth is equal to or exceeds a value. Without knowing the context in this case, suggesting this manager be copied isn't warranted.
shanms
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi All,

I agree with comments ,yes this is not at all Permanent solution.Our front application most important role,they are doing 24*7 job,if anything going wrong they will give us a call ,before they reported to us ,ESB side we need to make sure everything is running fine.

Note: we already using CA monitoring tools which is not supporting iib9.0 ,wmq7.5 new versions.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

shanms wrote:
Note: we already using CA monitoring tools which is not supporting iib9.0 ,wmq7.5 new versions.

Now we have context we can better understand why you are doing this as an interim until you upgrade your monitoring suite
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Yes, sometimes managers need/want to be copied on email notifications when an MQ queue's q depth is equal to or exceeds a value. Without knowing the context in this case, suggesting this manager be copied isn't warranted.

If normal application behavior (the unattended kind) suddenly requires manual intervention every 15 minutes, then management should be in the loop to recognize that something is 'broken', and to ensure that what's broken gets fixed.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » I am trying for some automation script
Jump to: