ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How long before you upgrade or use a new version

How long before you upgrade or use a new version « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pintrader
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: How long before you upgrade or use a new version Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi

Websphere v8 just came out not too long ago. By your experience or the norm, how long do you prefereably wait before you upgrade to v8 or use v8 ? I know a reason that people won't implement new version that fast due to stability and unknown "bugs". what's your thoughts. thanks
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

For me a *.0.0.0 release is for POC's and testing.
By the time we would be ready to plan for production rollout the first fixpack would be out.

With V8 there is a lot of things in the security area that need investigating and a full understanding of their implications before we could even consider putting an 8.0.0.x into production.

Then there were changes in 7.1/7/5 in relation to creating QMGRs in an MSCS environment that could come and bite you if you were't prepared.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The problem is a lot of people take this approach (I do!) and so I start to wonder if it isn't the 2nd or 3rd Fix Pack that has all the common bugs identified by the other brave souls.

But the fact is every version of every software has bugs. MQ 8.0.0.99 will have bugs. They will most likely be very specific ones impacting a very small population, but they will be there.

If 8.0.0.0 had 1,000 bugs but none that impact you, and MQ 8.0.0.99 has only 20 bugs but one of them impacts you, which version is more stable in your mind?

I guess another way to look at it is - why are you looking at MQ 8? If there is a critical new feature you need, go for 8.0.0.0 and make sure you test, test, test. But if the previous version is still going to be supported for years, and you are only proposing an upgrade so you can be cool and be able to brag about what version you are on, then I guess it depends on the culture of the company you work for. Some are consertative and don't go for that. Others are all about being bleeding edge and say go for it.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

When IBM issue a refresh level...
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I try and promote thorough testing in an analogue environment, including the new bells and whistles introduced, and if no issues arise, that becomes the de facto install level. Retro-fitting gets done on platform refreshes, or if functionality introduced becomes a must-have for an application, and of course, long prior to the sun-setting and withdrawal of a previous version.

So, cloud-cuckoo-land left behind me, I can understand, and sympathise with, those that live in the '...not until the first FixPac...' culture
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Another reason to stay as current as possible is security vulnerabilities. If you are choosing to not try and stay current with the latest fix pack, you are potentially exposing your business to known security vulnerabilities that you could have remediated. You will probably also struggle to pass a potential future security audit.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

But Tim, I can be as current as possible in regards to security and still be at 7.0 and 7.1. Those are fully supported versions and I expect IBM would provide a patch for a security vulnerability present in them.

I would guess due to the extra complexity and relative newness of MQ 8, there may be more security vulnerbilities waiting in the weeds. More things to go wrong, less (good) people using it to uncover and report security gaps.
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Correct. Sorry, I thought this thread had to do more with staying current with your current version/release/maintenance level. I can see the orginal post was specifically about when to go to v8. My comments would not apply then.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The answer to your questions should come from the amount of risk your organization wishes to tolerate. Managing risk is a balance.

Software, like hardware, has a useful life-span.

There is risk for staying with an older version/release/modification level, namely: older software contains bugs that have been identified and fixed in newer version/release/modification levels.

Newer software often brings new functionality, improved reliability, improved throughput, improved interoperability. But, there is risk from moving to a new version/release/modification level, namely: new(er) software contains bugs that have yet to be identified and fixed.

Most of my clients are conservative when it comes to business risk - risk of outages, loss of dollars, loss of customer satisfaction. Tech support teams are more focused (enamored) on the latest and greatest software.
pintrader
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

thanks guys for your professional input. right now i will stick to 7.5 still, until we feel we need those new features that come with v8. cheers
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

for new projects just go for the latest, love the built-in client authentication for one in V8!

MQSystems Facebook page

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How long before you upgrade or use a new version
Jump to: