ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » QMGR takes long time to shut down

QMGR takes long time to shut down « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Boomn4x4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: QMGR takes long time to shut down Reply with quote

Disciple

Yesterday evening a back up hung because a qmgr was shutting down, the shutdown was issued with a -w parameter. The shutdown took longer than expected about, 25 minutes when a normal shutdown is about 10 seconds. The support analyst who was monitoring the backup had never seen it take so long, so they panicked and started killing processes. Eventually, MQ ended normally.

I've been tasked with trying to figure out what, exactly, was keeping the qmgr from shutting down. Are there any logs or tools to read logs that I can utilize to sift through and figure it out. The error logs are showing that the WebSphere MQ Publish/Subscribe broker for the qmgr ended, 12 minutes later a couple unexpected asynchronous signals were received (I'd assume this was the analyst trying to ctrl-c out), then finally 12 minutes later the qmgr task LOGGEREV ended, and the rest of the shutdown immediately followed through to completion.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Currently connected apps are the usual suspects. If you are in a hurry to shut down, use the -i switch or -p switch with endmqm.
dware
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

If you first want to identify the offending apps that aren't disconnecting then "dspmq -c" give you a chance to see all the local processes associated with a queue manager. You'll need to work out which are valid queue manager processes and which are the application processes that are not disconnecting, but it can be done.

David
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Very handy - but why isn't "dspmq -c" documented on the man page?
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Thanks for the "dspmq -c" tip, as well. Also, here is a little shell command to convert the output to the actual pids with the args. Those shell experts out there probably have a more elegant way to do this

for i in `dspmq -c | xargs -n1 | grep PID | cut -d'(' -f2 | cut -d')' -f1`; do ps -p $i -o user,pid,args; done
dware
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Why isn't it documented? As you can see, it's simply one of those rough around the edges internal features that has leaked out into the public domain over time (e.g. search this forum for "dspmq -c"). As such I wouldn't rely too strongly on it or the format of its output, but as you can see it can get you out of a bind.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

zpat wrote:
Very handy - but why isn't "dspmq -c" documented on the man page?

Showing your age I see?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » QMGR takes long time to shut down
Jump to: