ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Choosing Full Repository

Choosing Full Repository « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Pats21
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Choosing Full Repository Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi All,

I am in a process of setting up a WMQ Cluster environment with 4 QM's.

Out of the 4, 2 are going to be used for IIB Integration Node and the other 2 as Gateway QM for this cluster environment.

I would like to know whether making the Integration Node QM as the Full Repository is a good idea or should I make the Gateway QM as Full Repository.

Do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Pats ...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Ideally, FR's should be qmgrs that are FR's only - queue managers with no applications. This way, loss of an FR does not affect applications.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Ideally, FR's should be qmgrs that are FR's only - queue managers with no applications. This way, loss of an FR does not affect applications.

And the FR's should be made highly available (MI someone? )
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

FRs are highly available by the nature of having two of them to begin with. In my opinion, making FRs Multi Instance QMs, or QMs under the control of VCS, HACMP or MSCS, is overkill, adding unnecessary complexity and cost.

You will find your expirience with MQ clusters just a little more pleasurable if you have dedicated QMs for your FRs, and each of those FR QMs on their own dedciated server. It doesn't have to be a big server, or a O/S clustered server - a little virtual server will do just fine for a FR QM. Just split those 2 FR servers across different hardware and network blocks to avoid single points of failure between the 2 FRs.

If you can't have dedicated servers for your FRs, I think there is very little to be gained on have dedicated QMs for your FRs if those FR QMs are on the same servers as other QMs. Although with the advent of multiple installations of MQ on a server allowing you to have different QMs running on different versions of MQ on the same server, there is some benefit. The ability to quickly upgrade your FRs to the latest version of MQ, keeping your FRs at an MQ version that is never older than any PR in your cluster, is the primary benefit of seperate FRs on seperate servers.

FRs in a small to medium cluster have very little performance overhead.

If you can't / won't have seperate QMs/servers for your FRs, and you must put the FRs on these 4 QMs, I would vote for the gateways. Without the IIB there, those servers have a little less to do. The Gateways will need to route messages to the IIB QMs, so the Gateways will likely need to know about all the queues in the cluster, so make them the FRs since FRs know about all queues in a cluster..

But in my opinion, get 2 additional little virtual servers and make QM#5 and QM#6 your dedicated FRs. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by PeterPotkay on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Pats21
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi All,

Thanks for your amazing insights ... this will be useful.

I might not get any additional server to host the FR separately, hence would have to go with the option of having Gateway QM as FR's.

Thanks again or your inputs.

Pats ...
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I would still use separate QMs for the FRs even if they live on a machine with Applicaiton QMs. Makes it easier to move them later and more stable. Once you create the isolated FR QMs, you should never need to touch them again except to apply maintenance.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Choosing Full Repository
Jump to: