ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » suspend cluster qmgr

suspend cluster qmgr « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jim
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: suspend cluster qmgr Reply with quote

Voyager

After the suspend command the channel went to inactive except the channel to the FR
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: suspend cluster qmgr Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

jim wrote:
After the suspend command the channel went to inactive except the channel to the FR

Congratulations.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I guess the question here is "what did you expect to happen and what is the problem?".

If you suspend a queue manager from the cluster you are effectively telling the rest of the cluster not to send you any more messages. You would expect, therefore, that sooner or later some channels to/from your Queue Manager in the cluster would no longer be needed.

I think we need to know what problem you are seeing in order to suggest a solution.

Cheers,
Paul.
McueMart
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Well seeing as the OP didn't seem to ask a meaningful question - let me hijack this thread to ask a question that I have been wondering for a while.

If I SUSPEND a qmgr from a cluster, should I wait for some time (seconds?minutes?) before stopping the qmgr for the cluster to correctly recognise that my qmgr is suspended (and not to send it messages!)? Or is it safe to SUSPEND then endmqm right after?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

McueMart wrote:
If I SUSPEND a qmgr from a cluster, should I wait for some time (seconds?minutes?) before stopping the qmgr for the cluster to correctly recognise that my qmgr is suspended (and not to send it messages!)? Or is it safe to SUSPEND then endmqm right after?

I usually wait 5 - 10 minutes in case some messages are in-flight, and I make damn sure that any resource in the queue manager is not the one-and-only in the cluster.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Its worth noting that suspending a QM from the cluster doesn't tell the cluster not to send any messages to this QM.

It advises the cluster to not send messages to this QM if other destinations are available.

Administrative messages will continue to flow occasionally to the suspended QM.
Messages addressed specifically to an instance of a queue on this QM (request/reply scenario) will continue to flow to the suspended QM.
Messages that have no other destination (the only available instance of the queue exists on the suspended QM) will continue to flow to the suspended QM.

In other words, its not abnormal to see cluster channels continue to run into a suspended QM, perhaps indefinitely.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

McueMart wrote:
Well seeing as the OP didn't seem to ask a meaningful question - let me hijack this thread to ask a question that I have been wondering for a while.

The suspend info will propogate quite rapidly thru the cluster stopping new work from being load balanced to this QM (if other destinations are available).

WHat you need to wait for ideally is for any pending request/reply transactions to flush out. If the request is processed by QM1, you suspend QM1, know that the reply for that messages may be trying to come back specifically to QM1. If your repliers are of the type that reply back in seconds, you can endmqm within seconds of suspending it. But if these repliers need minutes or hours to reply....it will be minutes / hours after your suspend before replies start coming back looking specifically for QM1, regardless of whether its suspended or ended.
McueMart
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Quote:
Messages that have no other destination (the only available instance of the queue exists on the suspended QM) will continue to flow to the suspended QM.

That's really interesting and totally not what I would have expected (or hoped!) to happen. Does something so significant as this not even deserve an explicit mention in the infocenter on the SUSPEND QMGR page? http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc%2Fq086850_.htm

ok, ok I guess you could say that I just wasn't trying hard enough to understand what IBM were saying when they wrote:

"Use the MQSC command SUSPEND QMGR to advise other queue managers in a cluster to avoid sending messages to the local queue manager if possible"

Anyway thanks for that clarification Peter - and regarding how long to wait between the SUSPEND and the endmqm.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » suspend cluster qmgr
Jump to: