ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » Help needed with MessageSight v1.1 Virtual Appliance....

Help needed with MessageSight v1.1 Virtual Appliance.... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
new_mqdev
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Help needed with MessageSight v1.1 Virtual Appliance.... Reply with quote

Hello All,
Not sure if this belongs here (couldn't find a Forum for MessageSight - I came to the closest - MQ Telemetry forum).

Am attempting to run MessageSight v1.1 virtual device on a Win8 laptop that is running VMWare Workstation 10. Here is what I have attempted:

Am able to load MessageSight v1.1 as per the instructions in the "Quick Start" guide bundled with the MessageSight 1.1 virtual device download. The VOA loads fine into the VMWare Workstation and the login screen appears.

I login as admin/admin

In the initial set-up wizard, I configure interface eth0 (the default)

As I wanted to use static IPs (no DHCP on VMWAre Workstation VM), I took "no" for 'Use DHCP for the ethernet port...' question

Next, for the IP Address for the Ethernet Port, I used the IP Address that has been assigned to the VMNet1 interface (this I got by the command ipconfig /all on the laptop (that is running the VMWare Workstation). -- 192.168.11.1/24

Default Gateway - I left as blank (as all are on the same physical box)

I accepted when it relayed back "Ready to set IPAddress=192.168.11.1/24 DefaultGateway=. Press Enter to continue"

Next, I get a message that the MessageSight will not be fully functional unless I accept the IBM MessageSight License from the IBM MessageSight WebUI.

I try to connect to the WebUI from a browser on the laptop and get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Am stuck at this point.

I have tried various options like configuring different IP addresses ports (on the VM partition), different browsers (IE10, Chrome) etc. but to no avail. Has anyone encountered this before? Emails to the IBM support email ID listed in the Quick Start guide are yet to be responded to (not sure if I would even get a response!)...

Thanks
-mqdev

Last edited by new_mqdev on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
new_mqdev
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: just as a fyi....the WebUI URL is... Reply with quote

The URL to connect to the WebUI is https://192.168.11.1:9087/
The IP is the one one configured for the eth0 interface.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You might need to check the VMWare workstation settings, to make sure that it's given the VMNet1 interface to the virtual machine, and isn't natting your regular address or etc.
new_mqdev
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: I have checked that.. Reply with quote

Jeff - thanks for your quick response.

The VM Workstation has been assigned 2 IPs - VMNet1 (192.168.11.1) & VMNet8 (192.168.220.1). From the VMware settings, I did verify that these are showing up on the VM. I could also confirm that the first IP is Host-only and second is NATted. As these appear the moment I import the VOA into VMware, am assuming that the MessageSight installable itself is assigning these interface names (ie VMNet1 & VMNet8) along their respective IPs. Also, just as an fyi, the Quick Start guide does mention that 2 Network interfaces will be configured on the Virtual Device and any additional interfaces, if configured, would not be effective...so I know am on the right track here.
Am not sure as to why I need to assign this to Ethernet-interface eth0 as the MessageSight v1.1 VOA could itself have done that...anyways I did assign VMNet1 (also VMnet8 in a second attempt) to eth0 which did not work. I even tried editing the IPs assigned through the VMWare features (it has a Network editor to view & edit the Network interfaces configured for a VM). Still no dice. Am out of ideas at this point...

-mqdev
WMBSAM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

i know its a old post but thought it would be worth answering it . as i have experienced the same issue and resolved it.

SOlution: As per the MessageSight infocenter documentation :running a virtual image of IBM MessageSight, check the network configuration of the virtual appliance and your virtual host. You might also want to check that the network connection type in the virtual machine settings matches the desired configuration of Bridged, Host-only, NAT, or Custom.

i have changed the VM network settings from bridged to NAT and that resolved the issue.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » Help needed with MessageSight v1.1 Virtual Appliance....
Jump to: