ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData?

Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData? Reply with quote

Partisan

We’re running MQ Server 7.5 on a Solaris Sparc server (Solaris 10).

We have a request from an application group that needs to get done ASAP (as all of their requests seem to be)

We need to send messages to an External Company. They need us to send them a specific value for ApplIdentityData and ReplyToQMgr. Unfortunately, the application that Puts the messages to the QRemote is not coded to set these values (and apparently, cannot be changed to do so).

The External Company suggests in their documentation that the messages should be Put to a QLocal in our queue manager and that we write a script to Get these messages, modify the fields and then Put the messages to the QRemote.

We could certainly do this quite easily, but I was thinking this might be better done with a Message Exit on the sender channel.

Of course, I have no experience with Message Exits. The only exits I’ve used are Security exits (such as the mqmdh001.c sample from DTCC discussed in other threads) that are quite basic.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which method is better?

I’ve gone through the following:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.dev.doc%2Fq028120_.htm
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you were to do this with an exit, I might prefer to do it with an API exit that intercepted the MQPUT.

That way if something breaks, it's much closer to where the app itself lives. You can give better feedback to the app about errors, likely, and you don't run the risk of the channel or the MCA crashing or discarding messages.

But I'd prefer not to use an exit. In general.

But, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The ReplyToQueueManager can be forced to whatever the MQ Administrator decides by definging a ReplyTo Alias queue. These little beasties are rarely used or even mentioned much but they are perfect for just this scenario. The app connected to QM1 will code MY.REPLY.QUEUE for the request message's Reply To Queue, and leave the Reply To QM blank, anticipating that the request message will be sent with MQMD_Reply2Q=MY.REPLY.QUEUE and MQMD_ReplyToQM=QM1.

But the ReplyTo Alias can change the Reply2Q and/or the Reply2QM values to whatever the MQ Admin desires the request message to have.

For ApplIdentityData, if the putting app can't/won't explicitly set it to the desired value, I guess you need an exit, or route the message thru an intermediate app like WMB to massage the header or data before forwarding it to the final request queue.
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff wrote:
If you were to do this with an exit, I might prefer to do it with an API exit that intercepted the MQPUT.

That way if something breaks, it's much closer to where the app itself lives. You can give better feedback to the app about errors, likely, and you don't run the risk of the channel or the MCA crashing or discarding messages.

But I'd prefer not to use an exit. In general.

But, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I like the API Exit idea and will look into that to at least gain some knowledge about exits.

PeterPotkay wrote:
The ReplyToQueueManager can be forced to whatever the MQ Administrator decides by definging a ReplyTo Alias queue. These little beasties are rarely used or even mentioned much but they are perfect for just this scenario. The app connected to QM1 will code MY.REPLY.QUEUE for the request message's Reply To Queue, and leave the Reply To QM blank, anticipating that the request message will be sent with MQMD_Reply2Q=MY.REPLY.QUEUE and MQMD_ReplyToQM=QM1.

But the ReplyTo Alias can change the Reply2Q and/or the Reply2QM values to whatever the MQ Admin desires the request message to have.

For ApplIdentityData, if the putting app can't/won't explicitly set it to the desired value, I guess you need an exit, or route the message thru an intermediate app like WMB to massage the header or data before forwarding it to the final request queue.

I think we're going with the External Comapny's suggestion about the script. It'll be a lot less work.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you have WMB available, clearly it will be the least amount of work and the most reliable solution. This would be a trivial flow. Copy the whole msg and modify two MQMD fields. This is the point of WMB.
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

JosephGramig wrote:
If you have WMB available, clearly it will be the least amount of work and the most reliable solution. This would be a trivial flow. Copy the whole msg and modify two MQMD fields. This is the point of WMB.

No WMB here.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData? Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

LouML wrote:
We need to send messages to an External Company. They need us to send them a specific value for ApplIdentityData and ReplyToQMgr. Unfortunately, the application that Puts the messages to the QRemote is not coded to set these values (and apparently, cannot be changed to do so).

Well, if I was the cook, I would definitely not do it in an exit (even though, I could do it).

The simplest solution (besides WMB) is to go and grab the MMX code (free open source). Go to the 'PutMessage' routine, after the memcpy line, add your 2 lines of code.
i.e.
Code:
strncpy(md.ApplIdentityData, "blah,blah,blah",MQ_APPL_IDENTITY_DATA_LENGTH);
strncpy(md.ReplyToQMgr, "QMgrName",MQ_Q_MGR_NAME_LENGTH);

One minute of coding, compile & link and you are done.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
LouML
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData? Reply with quote

Partisan

RogerLacroix wrote:
LouML wrote:

Well, if I was the cook, I would definitely not do it in an exit (even though, I could do it).

The simplest solution (besides WMB) is to go and grab the MMX code (free open source). Go to the 'PutMessage' routine, after the memcpy line, add your 2 lines of code.
i.e.
Code:
strncpy(md.ApplIdentityData, "blah,blah,blah",MQ_APPL_IDENTITY_DATA_LENGTH);
strncpy(md.ReplyToQMgr, "QMgrName",MQ_Q_MGR_NAME_LENGTH);

One minute of coding, compile & link and you are done.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Good idea. We already use MMX to split messages when doing parallel testing. I was going to combine the amqsget/amqsput samples and make one program.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » Message Exit to modify ApplIdentityData?
Jump to: