ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Choosing Correct Client Installs

Choosing Correct Client Installs « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bperniciaro
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Choosing Correct Client Installs Reply with quote

I work in an environment where I am not authorized to download any software, and any software to be installed must go through a CCB process. So, I want to make sure I request the correct client software the first time.

Here are my details:

1. I need to create a .NET client to read messages from an existing queue hosted on a remoate WebSphere MQ installation, version 6.1 & pack-level 31.

2. I got access to the sample applications provided with the trial download and have been experimenting with them locally, but seem to get lots of reference errors. Upon doing some research here is seems that installation of the client is highly-recommended, so this is the route I'm pursuing

When doing development, I want to have access to the full sample applications, so would I be safe requesting installation of the latest version, IBM WebSphere MQ 7.5, then instruct the help desk to only install the client-portion of the install? At this point would I have a month of development time before the trial expires?

After I complete development and am ready to deploy, would I then request installation of the free client, a client separate from the full, trial download.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing Correct Client Installs Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bperniciaro wrote:
When doing development, I want to have access to the full sample applications, so would I be safe requesting installation of the latest version, IBM WebSphere MQ 7.5, then instruct the help desk to only install the client-portion of the install?

The sample applications are separate from the client (or indeed the server) installation. Even if you can't download "software", you download them as source code and you'd find they're the same as you've been experimenting with locally.

bperniciaro wrote:
After I complete development and am ready to deploy, would I then request installation of the free client, a client separate from the full, trial download.

I don't see why you wouldn't do that from day 1 and take as long as you need for development.
bperniciaro
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Determining the Proper Client Download Reply with quote

Thanks Vitor,

I have read that XMS.net is installed as part of the WebSphere MQ client, but I see there is a separate page for XMS.net:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24011756

If I need to connect to WebSphere 6.1, am I safe in just requesting the latest version of the full, latest WebSphere MQ Client Install, v7.1.0.4?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24031412&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Determining the Proper Client Download Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bperniciaro wrote:
If I need to connect to WebSphere 6.1, am I safe in just requesting the latest version of the full, latest WebSphere MQ Client Install, v7.1.0.4?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24031412&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Go with the 7.5.0.2 MQ Client, and insure they install all the optional components that come with that client.

Its likely the end of life for MQ 7.5 will be farther out than 7.1, so develope anything new at 7.5.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24032744
bperniciaro
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 7.5.0.2 is the latest and greatest then that's what I will ask for.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Choosing Correct Client Installs
Jump to: