ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Forums Information » mqseries.net friendliness

mqseries.net friendliness « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

gs wrote:
...snip
Vitor wrote:

It's certainly unhelpful to just suggest posters attend training courses, but is it more "friendly" to simply not reply to this kind of basic question?
In addition to the "How to ask questions the smart way", there's also some guideline points in the Read First section that someone wrote, and I wish more of the newbie posters would follow & understand.

I think it would be more friendly to point the posters in the right direction on how to post questions the right way. Maybe a link to http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22295 for example.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#keepcool
"Dealing with rudeness" really resonated with me. I see this culture in responders and posters nearly every week.
gs was gracious enough to start this topic and I don't think he is alone with these impressions of mqseries.net, otherwise he wouldn't have raised it. We should give this careful consideration, the life blood of our close community depends on it.
I treat posters like my clients, although they are not paying me for services.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: mqseries.net friendliness Reply with quote

Jedi

My 2 cents worth:

This is not like any forum I know. It is mainly visited by people (I assume, anyway!) who work for large businesses, whether as employee or hired contractor.

We all have business to do, which is why we are using MQ or WMB or whatever.

It's not like the forum for my car, where everyone reading is an amateur enthusiast, rather than a business person.

So, mqseries.net is a little bit different. People whose employers have funded their education in MQ or WMB expect that others will have had similar opportunities. In some cases they have, and in other cases, maybe they have not.

But I think that, if a question has been posed in a particularly dumb or lazy way, it should receive a short standard response - eg. if it's a question about channels, a link to the main bit of the info center talking about channels. If about clustering, then... etc. This is a little bit more "friendly" than just an emoticon showing someone reading a book. Only a little bit, but maybe good enough?

Only my 2 cents worth, as I said.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

And here I thought that , , RTFM ans STFW were the mild form of telling the OP that he did not display any efforts to solve on his own..
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

One of the first things I learned as an Apprentice Toolmaker back in the 1960something was 'If in Doubt Ask'. In fact there was a sign up above the Foremans office to that effect.
What it didn't say was

'If in doubt please ask but only if you have tried to solve it for yourself first. Making mistakes when learning is fine but woe betide you if you repeat them later'

Much of my formal University Education was in hindsight leaning how to solve problems. I went to a Polytechnic so it was very practical. That again has stood me in good stead for more than 40 years.

Last spring I interviewed a number of candidates for a Broker Team in Chennai. Almost to a person, their problem solving skills were poor. The only one who had decent skills was one poor guy who'd been working in London but his family didn't want to move to the UK so he had to return home. He was and still is the only person we employed despite us having openings to 15+ devs. I can't and most certainly don't want to micromanage them from 6000 miles away.
Sad as it may seem, we see examples of that here almost every day. Posters want to be spoon fed the solution rather than investigating it for themselves. After a while seeing this lack of willingness or even ability to question and try things gets a little tiresome. Then we get frustrated. sometimes this shows in the rather pithy comments that get left by us grey-haired grumpy old men(aka experts).
Personally I am trying to be more positive in my comments. We (big generality here) are generally far too reticent about giving praise where it is due. This applied everywhere and not only here. If we were to strive to be better there then the overall attitude might get better.

At least lets try eh?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Momma always said "If you got nothing nice to say....."

Its so easy to just not reply if the question is difficult to understand or shows a lack of basic research. No one has to answer anything here. No one is forcing anyone to deal with weak questions. When people use the excuse "We're just volunteers" when called out on a terse response, I say "Exactly. No one forced this guy to deal with this question, so why is he dealing with the question?" Just. Move. On.

I continue to push for some sort of ranking system on posts. This probably would help supress the posts that say nothing other than get traing or read the manual. If a User's average Post rating (regardless of total # of posts) started to suffer, it might influence future respones.

We have a ranking system / title structure for our User IDs based on total # of posts. Right underneath that needs to be an "Average Quality of Posts" ranking, just like the star system on product reviews on Amazon.com. Minimum of 100 posts before you get a quality rating. Maybe assign titles to those rankings. If all you can muster is 1 out of 5 stars for an average rating after a couple hundred posts, maybe you deserve the "Crumudgeon". If you maintain a rating greater than 4 out of 5, "Saint Websphere" it is.

Be nice. Treat others like you want to be treated. You never know when you'll have a question about something that is so foreign to you you can't even formulate a proper question about it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Here's an excellent opportunity for people to participate.
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65676

Also, Peter.

Did your momma teach you to call spammers 'turds'?
mvic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqjeff wrote:

Looks like an excellent opportunity for a consultant (person or company) to inform him/her of their services.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mvic wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Looks like an excellent opportunity for a consultant (person or company) to inform him/her of their services.

Yes, I'm sure that's friendly and helpful.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

Also, Peter.

Did your momma teach you to call spammers 'turds'?

I presumed that 'turd' was really TURD, an acronym like RTFM. According to http://www.abbreviations.com/TURD, it's Trainee Under Rapid Development. Seems to fit.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Another excellent opportunity for people to participate and demonstrate friendliness and helpfulness.
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65710

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Forums Information » mqseries.net friendliness
Jump to: