ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Event message generation for BAM consumption

Event message generation for BAM consumption « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
aspre1b
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Event message generation for BAM consumption Reply with quote

Voyager

I’m looking at monitoring messages going over an MQ estate, which includes multiple Brokers. I would like to use event messages in conjunction with a BAM (potentially IBM Business Application Monitor) to consume these messages.

I can generate events for messages flowing over Broker flows but I’m trying to decide on the best technique to generate events from messages flowing from one queue manager to another (application A to application B).

We already have a triggered process that duplicates messages and sends to a legacy monitoring application, so this could be re-used and messages sent to an event proxy flow (which would pick up the message, potentially convert to a canonical format and then publish). However we would prefer an out of the box supported solution as we have to maintain the code across multiple platforms (AIX, HP NonStop, etc).

Is there a 3rd party triggered process or message exit that could generate an event message or a message copy?

I’ve looked at a few products (Q.Nami, Transaction Vision) out there but they all seem to be focused on delivering the event to their own monitoring service. I would prefer the monitoring service to decoupled from the event generation process which would allow greater flexibility should we wish to change providers in the future.

Most queue managers in the estate will be running MQ 7 soon; Brokers are still on 6.1.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

simple message copying/duplication can be done by MQ Pub/sub but only from V7.0.0.0 onwards.

There was a recent post on this site by Morag Hughson that described how to do it.

What is wrong with the format of the messages that Broker Event Monitors emits? I didn't really understand what is deficient here.

Q.Nami and the like are indeed targeted towards their own dashboards etc.

Ironically, there is an IBM Business monitor POT (Proof of Technology) at IBM South Bank, London on Thursday. I shall be there looking at how we can use this tool in both a WMQ/WMB area and in a wider BM case to help us justify the costs to our clients.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
aspre1b
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Strange you should say that, I will also be at the POC at London Southbank this Thursday.

I will look for Morag's post on pub/sub, but because of the nature of the traffic (financial data) I feel uncomfortable using pub sub, as you would be reliant on a subscription being correctly set up.

I'll take a look, thanks for the pointer.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Ok. I'll see you there.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Event message generation for BAM consumption
Jump to: