ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Which version of WMB supports jre v1.7 ?

Which version of WMB supports jre v1.7 ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nilgoto279
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Which version of WMB supports jre v1.7 ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am working on websphere message broker and currently using v7.0.0.3. Our code is compiled in java 1.6 and we are using runtime environment as jre v1.6. Now team wants to upgrade to java v1.7 and the runtime as jre 1.7.

So I really want to know which version of message broker supports jre 1.7 and the compilation level to java 1.7

Thanks in advance.

--
Nilesh Padmawar
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

You can use any Java level you want outside of WMB, as long as the Java written in your JCNs is 1.6.

You should be on at least 7.0.0.5 - upgrade.

AFAIK, JRE 1.7 will not be available for JCNs until V9.

A JCN running under 1.6 can call Jars written in 1.7.
srinivas07438
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi nilgoto,

How to upgrade the JRE 1.6 to jre 1.7 in websphere message broker V8.

I calling java procedure from the broker, where it run successful when right click and run as java application.
But when i trying to call the procedure from compute node it is giving exception due version of jre 1.6.

As wmb v8 is having jdk 1.6 by default but I changed to jre 1.7 using buildpath in the toolkit so Run as Java Application is executing successful but getting error when call procedure from the compute node.

As I came to know that at runtime broker taking JRE 1.6 so I need to upgrade the jre 1.6 to jre 1.7 in broker runtime.

Thanks In Advance
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

srinivas07438 wrote:
How to upgrade the JRE 1.6 to jre 1.7 in websphere message broker V8.

The only way to change the JRE in use by any version of IIB/WMB is to change the version or fixpack of IIB/WMB.

I have some indelibly old memories of being able to use a 1.4 JRE instead of a 1.3 JRE (or maybe a 1.5 instead of 1.4?) in, I think, WMB 6.0?

But your best bet is to *always* keep current of the most recent FP.
srinivas07438
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi mqjeff,

Thanks for quick response...

You told about the IIB/WMB is to change version or fixpack, where upto wmb v8 they are giving jre1.6 default and in iib v9 they giving jre 1.7..

And now my doubt is, are you telling to apply fix pack of wmb v8 to upgrade or is there any fix packs separately for to upgrade the jre...

I thought that there is a chance to overwrite the environment when starting the broker with scripts by specifying the path of local machine jre other than broker jre

Thanks in advance
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If you want to use a JCN on the later JRE version - upgrade your WMB 7 broker to WMB 8 or IIB 9, following normal product migration process.

As part of installing the new software level (in a separate location from prior) - apply the latest fixpack to that new version.

You can't just apply fixpack to WMB 7 to upgrade the JRE level.
srinivas07438
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Zpat,

Thanks for the reply,

I am using wmb V8.0.0 and this is having default JRE 1.6.

I thought that there is a chance to change the Environment in broker level or execution group level. when we starting the broker using the scripts to change the Broker JRE to use Local machine JRE.

As I changed the JRE in the eclipse and my java code running fine when I run the java client as "Run as java application". But when I am calling from the compute node it giving exception, So I need to give the JRE 1.7 at broker level from my system Java
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Do you really think IBM would support their product when you have changed the JRE from the one they used to develop it?

Some of the IBM nodes in broker uses java as well. Even if it was possible to change the JVM, it would be highly inadvisable to do it.

Upgrading to IIB 9 is not hard.

0. Read IBM documentation.

1. Install IIB 9001 software and then fixpack 9003 on top.

2. Change your broker profile to run 9003 mqsiprofile

3. Stop broker

4. Run mqsimigratebroker command

5. Start broker.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I repeat.

Quote:
The only way to change the JRE in use by any version of IIB/WMB is to change the version or fixpack of IIB/WMB.

I had hoped this was pretty straightforward. Perhaps I was unclear.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

srinivas07438 wrote:
I thought that there is a chance to change the Environment in broker level or execution group level. when we starting the broker using the scripts to change the Broker JRE to use Local machine JRE.

See here:

Quote:
◦On distributed systems, you must use the JVM that is supplied with the broker; no other Java product is supported

So there's no documented way to change the Java level, and if you do manage to kludge it, if you get any problems (even non-Java ones) and raise a PMR the first advice from IBM (legitimately) will be "put the Java back to the supplied one and see if that helps".

Because IBM have not tested what happens with a different JVM, they can't know what problems a different JVM will cause.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Having said all that check this out.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21685548

This suggests that using the MQSI_JREPATH environment variable one can point to a different JRE.

So that's how - not saying it's a good idea.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
This suggests that using the MQSI_JREPATH environment variable one can point to a different JRE.

Not quite but almost:

Quote:
This APAR package can be accessed by contacting IBM service and
contains a Javaâ„¢ 7 JRE that can be used with an existing WebSphere Message Broker V8.0.0.4.

So you can upgrade to a specific, IBM-supplied JREv1.7 from WMBv8.0.0.4 or higher, and retain support.

But if the OP is going down this path, pull the band aid all the way off and go to IIBv9

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Which version of WMB supports jre v1.7 ?
Jump to: