ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » what is the use of 2 agents on same machine ?

what is the use of 2 agents on same machine ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sebastia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: what is the use of 2 agents on same machine ? Reply with quote

Grand Master

Good morning.
I have a question about MQFTE.

I read "Each agent uses its own uniquely identified queues that are separate from those used by other agents. Thus, an agent queue manager can validly host more than one agent."

As I understand it, a FTE Agent is the "entry point" for an Application to access the MQ network, so it cand send files to remore queue managers.

So, why should someone place 2 agents on same (input) machine ?

Well, if 1 agent is "local", this is "Server" and "N-1" are "remote" or "client",, then I understand the phrase ...

Can someone clarify my concepts, if wrong ? Sebastian.
nickla23
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

There are a couple different reasons you could use more than 1 agent per queue manager.

The main one being that there are different types of agents, Transfer Agent(standard), Protocol Agent(FTP), Web Agent(Web Gateway), and Connect:Direct Agent. Also within each agent you can specify in the agent.properties, the particulars as far as how MQ will handle the transfer, chunk/block/window size as well as max transfers. One other reason, in cases where there are large number of transfers coming into a system, you can divide them up based off your needs so that there is less of an impact if you have a problem with one of the transfers or agents.
sebastia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

nickla23 wrote:
There are a couple different reasons you could use more than 1 agent per queue manager.

The main one being that there are different types of agents, Transfer Agent(standard), Protocol Agent(FTP), Web Agent(Web Gateway), and Connect:Direct Agent. Also within each agent you can specify in the agent.properties, the particulars as far as how MQ will handle the transfer, chunk/block/window size as well as max transfers. One other reason, in cases where there are large number of transfers coming into a system, you can divide them up based off your needs so that there is less of an impact if you have a problem with one of the transfers or agents.

THANKS A LOT, mr NICKLA - very good explanation !
Cogito-Ergo-Sum
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I think, this is the Redbook being discussed in the original question. I have a follow-up question.

About the client agents, on page 32, this is mentioned (emphasis mine) :
Quote:
WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition Client agents, which must run on a machine that does not have WebSphere MQ installed, can only associate with this queue manager in client mode.

So, by design, the machine where Client agents are expected to run shouldn't have WMQ clients or the queue manager. Is this right ?
---Sherlock Holmes
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

another reason for multiple agents per machine can be access control...

suppose you have app A sending files to app B and
app C sending files to app D

suppose app A and C are on one machine and you use 1 agent, that means the id the agent is running under needs read/write (to delete the files you need write rights) access to both directories where app A and C are writing their files... you may not want that... as the agent can now technically send files from app A to app D ... and from app C to app B ...

having seperate agents with seperate access rights prevents that from happening.

MQSystems Facebook page
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Cogito-Ergo-Sum wrote:
I think, this is the Redbook being discussed in the original question. I have a follow-up question.

About the client agents, on page 32, this is mentioned (emphasis mine) :
Quote:
WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition Client agents, which must run on a machine that does not have WebSphere MQ installed, can only associate with this queue manager in client mode.

So, by design, the machine where Client agents are expected to run shouldn't have WMQ clients or the queue manager. Is this right ?

I believe you're reading into it more than there is. My interpretation is that there will be no MQ Server installation. Nothing said about MQ Client...
Cogito-Ergo-Sum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Thanks !

Quote:
I believe you're reading into it more than there is.
Sometimes, I read like a lawyer.
---Sherlock Holmes

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » what is the use of 2 agents on same machine ?
Jump to: