ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » Message exit and MQSC Commands

Message exit and MQSC Commands « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MaxP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Message exit and MQSC Commands Reply with quote

Hi There,

Has anyone written a channel message exit which puts MQSC commands on the system command input queue? Platform is zOS.

Regards,
Max
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Hello,

yes, or at least something very close to it.

* I have written messages exits that are putting (additional) messages to queues.

* I have written security exits that are putting messages to system.command.input and that are reading the reply

Both on z/OS. Whats your specific question about it ?!?
MaxP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Butcher for your reply. I am writing a message exit which does the same thing as you have achieved with your security exits - i.e. put a MQSC command to system.command.input and read the reply. I've just hit a bit of an impasse - no messages are being PUT to my reply queue. I developed the code under CICS (and all worked well), before amending it to run as a channel exit. I was just questioning whether I was missing something fundamental (such as it can't be done), with the MQ manuals being less than verbose when discussing channel exits. It's probably some MQMD field that I'm not setting correctly. Any 'traps for young players' that you can think of?

Regards,
Max
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You have provided very, very little information - other than your exit didn't receive a reply.

Did your exit successfully put a message to the system command input queue? How do you know?

Any errors logged in CHIN SYSLOG? In qmgr SYSLOG? Did the exit get instantiated?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Am I the only one horrified at the notion of a message exit performing administration on my queue manager?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Am I the only one horrified at the notion of a message exit performing administration on my queue manager?

That would be me.
MaxP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we all have our own notions of horror, Bruce and Jeff, but there you are. Thanks for you diagnosis tips Bruce and for making me google instantiate. It would seem that Mr Butcher is already successfully performing said administration from an exit. Perhaps you could ask him if his world has ended Mayan style? My query was more is anyone doing this/is it possible. As I've said, the code worked fine when I developed it under CICS, but is not going as planned now that I've turned it into an exit. I am assuming that CICS was guarding me from the ludicrously large number of field/byte/bit settings that one must make in the MD/OD etc, to keep MQ happy.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

How was this implemented in CICS? GLUE? TRUE? Something else?

Way back when, I wrote CICS exits. It was a fun time.
MaxP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a linked to CICS application program:
Open request queue
Open reply queue
Put a message to request queue
Get messages from reply queue
Format a record with required fields extracted from the reply queue messages, and output this somewhere
Close request queue
Close reply queue
Leave quietly

Now as a channel exit (using CSQ4BAX0 as a model):
Getmain my storage
Find MQXQH and then message from passed parameters (based on hearsay, as it is not particularly well documented in the Intercommnuication Guide)
MQCONN
Open request queue
Open reply queue
Put a message to request queue
Get messages from reply queue
Format a record with required fields extracted from the message that MCA has GET from xmitq, and reply queue messages, and output this somewhere
Close request queue
Close reply queue
Freemain my storage
Leave quietly
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

How exactly are you testing?
MaxP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exit is now implemented on a particular sender channel. I'm sending a message from a CICS application across this channel to drive the exit.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

How are you observing the running of the exit? That is, what method are you using to show that the exit is running, and see what it is or is not doing?

What behavior are you seeing? Is it working? Not working?

I can construct a scenario in which this seems like a good thing to do - you can create your own private format of administrative messages, including allowing you room to implement your own additional security layer.

But it seems a bit of a long way around to avoid the built-in methods of doing these things.

However, that's not my problem. I was just concerned that I was missing something - that nobody else thought this was a bad idea at all.
markt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I bet it's syncpoint behaviour.
MaxP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff, I'm issuing WTOs from within the code to show where I am in the exit. I am also writing various fields out to a sequential dataset allocated to the CHIN. This exercise has nada to do with security. The exit is running and I am doing a MQPUT to SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT - just nothing is coming back to my replyq, unlike when I test under CICS. Undoubtedly there are built in methods for achieving my goal, but we are a facilities manager for external clients, and I was hoping to implement something which does not require my client to make code changes.

markt, what does that mean?

Mr Butcher, if you are still there, what version of MQ are you? What does your PMO and OD look like when you are MQPUTing to SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What markt means, and what your description of the symptoms imply, is that your PCF request message is being sent inside a transaction. This transaction is not being committed before you try and get the response from that request.

So you need to take steps to ensure your PCF messages are sent and received *outside* of a syncpoint.

Again, apologies if I'm derailing this conversation a bit, but as a 'facilities manager for external clients', it would seem to me that you could use purchase/use any MQ management tool, and use that through normal means - without requiring that your customers change any of their code, but merely requiring that a certain amount of initial configuration to ensure that your management tool has necessary access to the MQ resources it needs (event queues, command queue, etc.).

But I also admit that I don't know what a 'facilities manager for external clients' is, exactly, nor what kinds of business relationships you have with your customers.

But again, if the point of this exercise is to administer the queue manager or gather metrics and statistics on the use of the queue manager, it would seem more straightforward to me to use the normal methods of doing that, rather than building your own.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » Message exit and MQSC Commands
Jump to: